Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those in the know, I have a 2 yr old Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on and since I ride a lot in state parks and wild life areas I have been thinking of toning my exhaust note to a quieter level. Off hand does anyone know if these cans be re-packed and if so would that tone the volume level down a notch?

I love the tone, just want to reduce the volume level.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to avoid putting the stock exhaust back on parially because of weight partially and because I remember it being overly subdued. However, it was 2 years ago when I last heard that can.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zyclone baffle?

I am not sure what that is, I will have to do some research on that. I think I remember yosh having a zyclone can, is their a baffle I can insert?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI, Just went to the Yosh site and this is what they had to say

Q. My Race pipe is too loud, what can I do?

A. The first thing to do is if it has a lot of miles on it, the muffler may need to be repacked! $10.00 worth of Yoshimura Eclipse fiberglass goes a long way in quieting down a raspy muffler. Other than that, Yoshimura tries to keep noise levels to a respectable level without hindering performance. Yoshimura will continue to develop the best performing exhaust systems with a great quality sound and acceptable dB level.

·
Registered
398 Posts
rlsrob said:
zyclone baffle?

I am not sure what that is, I will have to do some research on that. I think I remember yosh having a zyclone can, is their a baffle I can insert?
The rs3 comes in regular and zyclone flavors. Dont know if its something you can stick in or not. I was just asking.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about how to repack the can, I guess I will call my stealer and see if they do it or if I need to send it back to Yosh.

Looks like you would need a rivit gun to put it back together?

S

·
0 Posts
If its an aftermarket can, re-packing is relatively straight forward, take out the rivets, install new fibreglass packing and reinstall sleeve. You can also try header wrap, will knock it down a DB or 2, every bit counts. Try getting some sound deadener from a hardware store and put in on the inside of the sprocket cover, it makes a lot of noise. If your aftermarket exhaust has a lot of useage, repacking will give you a few more hp while your at it. It's what the dyno guy said trackside.

I think thats really respectable you want to keep your sound level reasonable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I realize this thread is fairly old, but it is exactly what I am looking for.

My question is, if you jam even more packing in the can, will it be quieter? Can you put too much packing in?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
my brother in law has a cap on his 4-wheeler exhaust to quiet it down a bit. the company that makes them also makes stuff for bikes, though i don't know if anything will fit our exhausts.

check here in the accessories page: http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/motorcycle/index.asp or call them and ask if they have anything to fit your pipe.

you put a few discs and a cap on the end of the pipe. it quiets it down and can supposedly also move the powerband around. (http://www.supertrapp.com/technology/index.asp)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, I had the supertrapp on a car once upon a time. I had repacked it once, but the sound "tuning" definitely comes from their end plates.

My current idea is to cut a section of 2" tubing which will just fit into the can's exit pipe. Tubing will have a slash cut at the end that pokes into the can, such that if positioned correctly, it would exactly mate with angled interior baffle and effectively choke the flow 100%. By rotating this insert and making the slash cut NOT match up with the interior baffle I should be able to regulate exactly how much exhaust passes through, from 0-100%. I know I don't want to shut it down completely , but it will be interesting to play around with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, to see my old tread reappear.  However, the bad news is that I must be a major slacker and an inconsiderate arsehole because I am still riding around with that noisy exhaust.  What is even sadder is that every time I ride I think to myself that I should fix it.  I think I might start with the repacking route first and see if that mellows the noise level a bit.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
there's always the cheap way; stuff a sock down there. use the other one to cover a spare helmet shield.

of course, that leaves your pants unstuffed....can't help you there

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, there is another thread about Riverside county, near L.A. that is generating discussion about exhaust noise, so maybe this thread will continue on.

For those interested, I cut up a tin can to create my own baffle/restrictor and fit it into the end of exhaust pipe. It DID reduce sound a bit, yet kept the throaty thump that stock exhaust totally kills. Restrictor was c-shaped, so it's springiness held it in place in exit tip of can--for a while. Somewhere on my ride it blew out, so now I am a litterer as well as noise polluter. Seriously though, I do plan to come up with something like this that is "tunable", simple and cheap. Keep the throaty, lose some db.

For a simple, 5 minute experiment, it worked well, while it lasted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts