Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a minor rattle from my front end, mostly happens over rough road, and small bumps. It sounds like my gauge is lose and rattling, but it's not that or anything else bolted onto the front end. Figure I'd check the tightness of the head bearing nut, but thats new to me. Is it the double grooved nut right under the top triple tree?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
evilbologna said:
I've got a minor rattle from my front end, mostly happens over rough road, and small bumps. It sounds like my gauge is lose and rattling, but it's not that or anything else bolted onto the front end. Figure I'd check the tightness of the head bearing nut, but thats new to me. Is it the double grooved nut right under the top triple tree?
Screw driver and hammer is the prefered method with out buyingthe special tool and/or taking off top triple to get the special tool on.

Do the bottom on first, and then the top, just to snug againt the bottom one.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I wish I had something of value to add to this conversation, but I don't.

It's just I've been on this board for a year and a half and someone finally called a piece of their bike a "Thingy". I've been waiting for that for ages. Now I feel like I'm at home.

Thingy, hehehe :D
Plus one for Nate

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
One of the triple clamps has to be a little loose when tightening the headset bearing. I usually like to loosen the pinch bolts on the upper triple clamp, then the large nut on top of the triple clamp. Then, as folks have said, use a hammer and (I prefer) a long brass punch (to keep from messing up the nut). If you can get the front wheel off the ground and have access to a fishing scale, the spec is in the shop manual. Don't overtighten. Now snug the big nut down and retorque the pinch bolts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A loose steering head bearing will NOT cause a rattle sound.

It will cause a "clunk" sound when you brake.

I'd be VERY careful adjusting the steering head bearings. It is extremely difficult to do properly and if you get it wrong it will cause all sorts of handling problems and be a potentially expensive experience if you get it really wrong.

Also you need to get the front end of the bike off the ground to properly adjust head bearings. This is the one thing I'd pay someone to do properly and as racer, I do almost everything else myself.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Download the manual.

With the front end off the ground the bearing is correctly tightened when it takes between 200 and 500 grams to rotate the bars. A fishing scale works well for this test.

But as another poster pointed out, rattling probably isn't the headset bearing. You may be hearing the pads in the calipers (normal). Check all the fasteners. You may find the source without adjusting the headset.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andyauger said:
Download the manual. 

With the front end off the ground the bearing is correctly tightened when it takes between 200 and 500 grams to rotate the bars.  A fishing scale works well for this test.

But as another poster pointed out, rattling probably isn't the headset bearing.  You may be hearing the pads in the calipers (normal).  Check all the fasteners.  You may find the source without adjusting the headset.
Well I already did it, think I did anyways. I'll download the manual anyways and check. I didnt loosen the top triple clamp at first, but after a second it made sense to do that so I did. The bottom nut spun quite easily. I was able to rotate it almost a half turn, and that was with light tapping of the hammer. Then followed it up with the top nut. Even if it wasn't making the noise, I dont think it should've been as loose as it was.

I'm aware of the noise that the brake pads and the floating rotors make, cause at first those bothered me too. I've run over everythign on my front end and just can't find anything loose :-\ it's not a horrible noise, just annoying.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andyauger said:
Just thought of one more thing.  Could the cables be slapping, making a ticking sound as they hit?
What I did was, I found a dirt road (for vibration), rode down it, and started grabbing things on the front end with my hand, to see if I could change the noise. I pushed down on my gauge, did nothing, I grabbed the two throttle cables, clutch cable, and still the noise didn't change. I'll figure it out eventually...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts