Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone explained to me long ago how to test in in a car which involved putting it in 3rd or 4th gear and gassing it from a stand still. I assume the procedure for a bike is different.

Is there a similar way to do it on a bike? I am suspicious that the clutch is slipping in the latter half of the RPM range.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
putting it in 3rd or 4th gear and gassing it from a stand still
Don't do that...that is a good way to abuse the clutch. Ride the bike...get it in say 5th gear...give it full throttle and see if your RPM changes faster than acceleration. Usually you can tell just by the feel and sound.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If you watch the tach closely you should be able to see it drop back down after WOT without the bike actually slowing down. The tach should stay at the same RPM regardless of throttle position (in 5-6th)...at least in the instant you open or close the throttle. Pretty sure you'll see it if you look for it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Have R1Dave do a burnout with it. You'll find out real quick if there's a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lulz. I'm just super paranoid when it comes to anything possibly being wrong with my bike. Like...if there was a disease for always thinking there is something wrong with your automobile, I would be diagnosed on the spot.

It's just that my bike seems to have moods and I don't quite understand why.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
ride at a steady speed, say 60mph. pull in clutch while holding throttle steady, allow rpm to increase @1000-1500 rpm, then let clutch lever out quickly, (pop the clutch). you should feel a forward jerk if the clutch is adjusted properly.

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Someone explained to me long ago how to fry the clutch in a car which involved putting it in 3rd or 4th gear and gassing it from a stand still.
ftfy ;)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You have an old superbike. My '98 Daytona has bipolar moods as well. Sometimes it's a maintenance issue, other times voodoo.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have an old superbike. My '98 Daytona has bipolar moods as well. Sometimes it's a maintenance issue, other times voodoo.
I just got it serviced and it passed with flying colors

It seriously has mood swings. It's the strangest thing.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Some engines really change their power delivery with the atmospheric pressure varying due to weather. Clear, high-pressure days they run strong.....low pressure front comes through and they feel doggy. Maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some engines really change their power delivery with the atmospheric pressure varying due to weather. Clear, high-pressure days they run strong.....low pressure front comes through and they feel doggy. Maybe?
Yes. The lower the ambient temperature, the better the engine performs. Although, time of day is also important. So low temperature on a sunny day seems to be the optimum. While a hot night is the least optimal.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you serviced the carbs since you've owned this bike?
I had work done on it last month and supposedly they checked the carbs. I'm thinking about finding another shop to look at it again.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
A good test for a slipping clutch? If the engine revs and you don't move while the transmission is engaged, there's a good chance your clutch is slipping. Is it really that difficult? Checking your plates is an hour job; you'll likely need a new clutch cover gasket.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A good test for a slipping clutch? If the engine revs and you don't move while the transmission is engaged, there's a good chance your clutch is slipping. Is it really that difficult? Checking your plates is an hour job; you'll likely need a new clutch cover gasket.
Got it. It is a difficult job when I have no tools.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts