Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 16K miles on my bike.

Sprockets aren't worn. Chain looks fine. I maintain (clean, lube and adjust) regularly. How do I tell if my chain needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
If the sprockets are getting pointy or if the chain rattles when you shake it, they're beat.
Otherwise I'd just keep them clean and lubed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
there can be tight spots in the links also. when you put the rear on a stand the wheel will spin easy then be hard to turn.

also when you are at the adjustment area, time for a new one

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The owner's manual has a procedure for measuring the chain to see if it's worn out. Measure a couple of different sections.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Maritan said:
I have about 16K miles on my bike.

Sprockets aren't worn. Chain looks fine. I maintain (clean, lube and adjust) regularly. How do I tell if my chain needs to be replaced?

Thanks!
as already posted, refer to manual, look for tight/loose syndrome.

if your chain is worn, replace your sprockets too, even if they look good, they are worn with the chain, and will make a new chain wear prematurely, your chain cost more than the sprockets, and it will be a difference of your next chain lasting 8,000 miles or 16,000 miles

·
Registered
290 Posts
RandyO said:
as already posted, refer to manual, look for tight/loose syndrome.

if your chain is worn, replace your sprockets too, even if they look good, they are worn with the chain, and will make a new chain wear prematurely, your chain cost more than the sprockets, and it will be a difference of your next chain lasting 8,000 miles or 16,000 miles
Someone else gave me a neat piece of advice. pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position. if you can move it away from the sprocket, then they are both(chain and sprockets) shot, and need replacement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
punkjumper said:
there can be tight spots in the links also.  when you put the rear on a stand the wheel will spin easy then be hard to turn.

also when you are at the adjustment area, time for a new one
Glad I was this thread as I was just going to ask a similar question. My chain with 12,500mi seems to have one tight link. I can tell when I have the bike on a rear stand that it labors at one point. I would assume my chain needs replaced?

What are good replacement chain/sprocket combos for commuter type of use? Where are good places to get the combos? What should I expect to pay?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
bang for the buck, cost per mile basis, you can't beat OEM sprockets, others are cheaper but don't last near as long

·
Registered
118 Posts
RandyO said:
bang for the buck, cost per mile basis, you can't beat OEM sprockets, others are cheaper but don't last near as long
Do you have chain recommendations? What specs do I need in a chain?
Did I read before that you have some sort of oiler for your chain so you don't have to lube it or clean it all the time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts