Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I wanna shorten the mufflers on my sv1k all the way to the bracket. But here's the thing I want to keep the baffles, I don;t want to gut them out. I've been searching for a while and couldn't find a DIY thread that can help me! Sorry for posting this I know this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the right info. btw here's my bike mufflers away from finished!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would just cut it apart and weld it back together. You can keep the baffles in place just shorten all internals.

SICK bike by the way !!!!!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Not sure if the 1k cans are the same, but here's how I did mine: (link)

The baffles and routing are the same, just the 1st (front) expansion chamber is nearly eliminated.

The 2nd time around, (got another stock muffler) I left the outer casing longer and did a slant cut for a different look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shortening the stock cans will require cutting them open and then shortening the body and centre pipe and then welding them back together. Baffling inside can be left in place at the end of the muffler body to help with noise control.
Hope this helps

·
Banned
855 Posts
Not 100% sure what your referring too as the picture you have posted only shows the exhaust pipes and not the mufflers (cans). If you are wanting to shorten the pipes down to the brackets under the rear of the motor then grab a hacksaw and go for it. There are no baffles in the pipes themselves. If on the other hand you are wanting to shorten the mufflers (cans) then search because there are a heap of threads on how to do it.
I believe the "baffle" he is referring to is the core of the mufflers. You can shorten the entire muffler without eliminating the core but I just don't know by how much. I would imagine the easiest way to go that route would be as already mentioned: cut it open and weld it back together at the length you want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet Thanks a lot guys! Looks like a lot of work but atleast I know how and I'm gonna start working on it! Again appreciate the help!

·
Registered
337 Posts
got all excited to go home and do this, but my stock muffler seems to be welding around the tip, not rolled like the exampes here...
tips?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts