Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted over at Socalsvriders.com first, but I repost it over here for you guys.

{PMS}fishy said:

Here is a quick how to, on turing those pesky parking lights that serve no purpose into a functional, small, clean blinker. All for less than $5.

Parts Needed:

#194 Amber Corner Marker Lights.
Heatshrink 3mm and 6mm

Tools Needed:

Screwdriver
Wire Strippers
Lighter
Solder
Soldering Iron

First pop off the triangle cover in each corner of the dash. You can see the running light, right infront of you. 1/8th of a turn, and pull it out. Then you need to reach up into the fairring. Follow the wire, and you will find the connector. Push down on the clip, and you can pull it out. If you can't see it, or figure it out, the dash will need to come off, but I didn't need to do that.

Once you have the parking light out, you will have something like this. I have already removed the clear blub, and replaced it with the amber.

I decided to do this mod, to get rid of the floppy blinkers, and I didn't want to run the LPs, or GSXR blinkers, or any blinkers that stick out for that matter. I also removed the blinkers, and hacked their connectors off, so that I can plug the new blinker right in. If you don't want to hack this apart, you can order the parts from your local dealer, or just splice the wires together. You can also just tap into the blinkers you have, and run side blinkers in addition to the parking lights as blinkers. It really up to you.

Here is the hacked off connector from the blinker.

Then I soldered the two together. Ploarity does not matter. Then heatshrinked each wire, and then the two, for added water protection, and stregnth.

Here are a few pictures of the bulbs installed.

All in all, I have $5 into this mod. Took 20 mins to do, and was worth every penny. All that I need to do now is make some block off plates for where the old blinkers where. No time today, off to ride.

If you like, chrome, which I don't, and have $60 to spend on a plug, than check these out.

http://www.ema-usa.com/misc/misc_greggs_fp.shtml

I may consider ordering the connectors needed, and making a batch of these if anyone is intreasted.

Also, if you look close, the blinker plugs have 3 connectors, so, if another wire was run, this could be set up as a blinker and running/parking light.

I decided to just go for blinkers for easy of instaliation, and lack of motoviation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
looks like your bike could use a wash! :D

i did that mod a whild back and love it, i think it helps AND looks good.
well done, keep up the good work 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
i am currently trying this mod with no luck
i followed the same procedure but now the blinkers are acting as if
the bulb is burnt out
(blinking too fast)
please help

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pointese7en said:
i am currently trying this mod with no luck
i followed the same procedure but now the blinkers are acting as if
the bulb is burnt out
(blinking too fast)
please help
Did you mod the rear blinkers too? Did you use LEDs?

Switching out to the stock light to an amber blub will not make the blinkers blink faster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What did you guys that did this mod do about the holes where the stock blinkers used to be? Just curious cause I was thinking about doing something like that with mine and I really don't want a big hole in either side of my plastics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
when i did this mod instead of replacing the stock turn signals i wired the parking lights in with them in parrallel so that later on down the road i can put in block off plates or flushmounts if i so desire

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did this too a while ago. Used plastic block-off plates in the stock signal location. Used amber LED bulbs- they blink double time- less resistance. Goto Radioshack and pick up some hi-quality reistors and wrap them in heat-shrink and install them in-line of the signals and it will slow down the blinking rate. Mount them away from plastic as they do get very hot.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. I'll be trying this out on the weekend. I put on the Shark Skinz and didn't want to drill out holes for turn signals (even flush mounts). This mod will help tremendously. ;D

Thanks again ... why do I feel like I have to wash my bike now ... I'm such a sucker for subliminal image placements! :-*

·
Registered
408 Posts
Be sure to check with your local inspection station before doing this mod, turns out to be illegal on PA.

My bike's previous owner did this, in another state, and then I was told I couldn't pass PA inspection. So it looks like I'll be wiring up some flushmounts in parallell with these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did this mod the other day, didn't realize so many others had. Anyway I love it but my signals now flash at a much higher rate also. Stepping down from 21 watts to 5 watts will do this, similar to installing leds.
- What resistor do I need to make them slow down to a normal rate? I tried a 10 watt/10 ohm and all it did was dim the bulb and stayed at the same rate. I'd really like to get it slowed back down and figure out what to put in the hole where the old signal was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed mine using 12 watts / 6 ohms resistor and they blink properly... just remember to put the resistor away from plastic as they get hot! ;D

And to cover the holes left by the stock blinkers, I used black plastic covers that came with the whole setup I got at www.bikelitez.com...

Good Luck!

Raven

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to put a resistor for each of my front EURO LED ligths so that way they blink normally.

Using the Hotbodies undertail and the intergrated tailight, I didn't have to put any resistors for the rear as it blinked normally.

Hope this helps!

Raven

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Fishy

Just finished my signals. Small 6 light LED's velcrod to my plate holder until I get a plate. Yellow LED's in old signal fairing hole for the sides and Yellow position lights wired in parrallel for front signals. I was able to use all the old OEM connectors. I feel safer now that people can actually see which way I'm heading! Great thread, easy to do.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I for one like having the front turn signals stuck out where they can be seen easly by these idiodic cagers in this state. But I would like to replace the bulbs with LEDs, my problem is I haven't found any that would just plug in to the original socket. Has anyone seen any LEDs that could replace the originals by just plugging them in or do I have to make em?
Thanks ahead of time for the info!!

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I'll probably wire mine in series with my turn signals soon. Anyone have pictures on how to do this exactly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.