Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...this is my first post here so please be easy. i recently dropped my bike for the first time last week. The good news is i'm okay and the only thing really wrong with my bike is the right turn signal broke off. i've already ordered the parts i need and it's on its way. I've been searching the forums for a tutorial section or a how to section on the turn signal but haven't been able to find one. Can someone point me in the right direction and is this something i would be able to do myself or do i need to take it in to a shop and have them do it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
It is pretty simple to replace it. It would probably be easier to take the fairing off to do it but if you can get your hand in there all you have to do is remove the screw that is holding it in place and unhook the electrical connection. Remove the busted housing, put the new one in, bolt it down and re-connect the wire.

See the #8 screw in the drawing? That is what you have to remove.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...URNSIGNAL_LAMP_(SV650SK3/SK4/SK5/SK6/SK7/SAK7)_

·
Registered
973 Posts
front or back signal?? the front is easy, you have to take the cover off the headlight ( the silver part, there is a small screw that holds it if i remember correctly) and then
you unplug the old one(youll see where the wire runs in) and plug in the new one. you have to unmount the old and mount the new one of course which requires a screwdriver. the
rear i have never done but im sure it connects like the front, with a little flat
terminal lug that just plug/slides into the connection. just trace the wire from
where it attaches to the rear fender and run the new one in the same way.
there is no real electrical skill involved here. good luck.

EDIT: or if you have an S model do what he says...lol ^^^^

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Replacing the turn signals is easy peasy. If it's the front turn signal, remove the traingular access panel in the dash via Phillips-head screw. If you lok down toward the signal you should see a small nut on the back of the signal (10mm). Remove it and the signal should come right out.

Is it's the rear signal, just look underneath the rear fender where it's mounted and remove the same 10mm nut.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
This microfiche should help you a little:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...NSIGNAL_LAMP_(SV650SK3/SK4/SK5/SK6/SK7/SAK7)_

Trace the wire from the signal until you find a small plastic clip, then disconnect it. Then remove the retaining nut (part #8 on the fiche). The signal should come right out after that. Feed the wire for the new signal through and connect it, replace the nut and tighten it down and you'll be good to go.

EDIT: D*mn when I hit reply no one had responded yet. Aren't we a helpful bunch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all so much!!!! i've been stressed about this all week, being my first drop and all. now i feel like it's not such a big deal. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Slightly different question...

So like the OP I dropped my bike and the only real damage is one front turn signal (thank goodness for sliders -- I always wondered how well they work, now I know). The thing is, I want to replace my perfectly good rear turn signals with something lower profile anyway. So can I just take one of the rear turn signals and move it up to the front to replace the broken one?

In other words, are the front and rear turn signals basically identical? Looking at the microfiche I would say... no? But are they incompatible or significantly different dimensions? (i.e. would my front signals look asymmetrical - one eye bigger than the other)

·
Registered
152 Posts
soon you can be like me and destroy the entire front end and figure out how to replace it all on your own :). its actually very simple.

·
Registered
827 Posts

So like the OP I dropped my bike and the only real damage is one front turn signal (thank goodness for sliders -- I always wondered how well they work, now I know). The thing is, I want to replace my perfectly good rear turn signals with something lower profile anyway. So can I just take one of the rear turn signals and move it up to the front to replace the broken one?

In other words, are the front and rear turn signals basically identical? Looking at the microfiche I would say... no? But are they incompatible or significantly different dimensions? (i.e. would my front signals look asymmetrical - one eye bigger than the other)
i'm not sure, but i think the rear turn signals have a longer bolt than the front ones.....but it should still work your idea of moving them to the front.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Nope. The rear signal housing is the same, but the harness plug is different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do u know how exactly are they different? Is it a difference of e.g. 3 wires vs 2? Or just the plastic harness itself is differently shaped?
The wiring is the same, but the plastic connector is shaped differently -- so you could solder on a front connector, no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
same issue. front right saggy turn signal on my 2001 sv650s. i can’t reach the ‘plug’ b/c it’s way up in there. i don’t want to remove the whole fairing. is there an easier way to gain access?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts