Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
subject says it all. I've got a spot where my nylon pants melted to the exhaust pipe. Does anyone have any good methods for removing such a thing? I've tried scraping it with a block of wood once I got the pipe hot. No luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have used #0000 steel wool and lacquer thinner on cold exhaust pipes. Make sure the wool is #0000 (finest there is, I think) or it could scratch it up bad.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh, almost forgot. Before you try taking it off with chemicals...

Heat it up with a hair dryer and try to peel it off. The hair dryer won't get it so hot that it melts, and it may just peel off. It might take a little while for it to heat up though, but it is safer than chemicals.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The #0000 steel wool is going to be your best bet, IMHO. It'll abrade the nylon - but effectively only polish the stainless pipe.

All it'll take is time and a fair amount of patience - #0000 is really, really, really fine stuff. If you can focus the effort on the blob - you might even go with some wet/dry sandpaper until it gets too thin. That'd only be to cut the time down, though. Finish up with some Mother's mag & chrome polish to take any super-fine scratches out.

You'll probably make a 'clean' spot on the pipe.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Northwind said:
I get the pipe good and hot, then wipe off with a paper towel and a chromed leather glove. if it melts on, it'll melt off.
+1 - I heat the pipe up and use a microfiber with some car wax, volia! all gone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. Pipe has a nice polished finish with the exception of the big black spot. I was gassing her up when I realized too late what I had done. I'll start with the least abrasive and go from there. I'll post the results soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used regular old EZ Off oven cleaner. Pretty much the same way you'd clean a funky oven, using the same caveats - rubber gloves, not breathing the funes, etc. Get the pipe nice and hot, apply the oven cleaner, making sure not to get it on any other serfaces, repeat - making sure not to get it on any other surfaces, then wipe it off.

G

·
slider said:
I'm still working on that spot. Might have to take the steel wool to it. I'll post before and afters when I'm satisfied.
Ooo- gonna scratch it. If the heat and mop doesn't work, I'd try floor stripper. That stuff is strong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.