Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
subject says it all. I've got a spot where my nylon pants melted to the exhaust pipe. Does anyone have any good methods for removing such a thing? I've tried scraping it with a block of wood once I got the pipe hot. No luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have used #0000 steel wool and lacquer thinner on cold exhaust pipes. Make sure the wool is #0000 (finest there is, I think) or it could scratch it up bad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chemtool is a spray carb cleaner that might dissolve the gunk on the pipe.  The stuff is very volatile (contains ether) and cannot be used around flames, pilot lights, or anything hot that could ignite it.  

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh, almost forgot. Before you try taking it off with chemicals...

Heat it up with a hair dryer and try to peel it off. The hair dryer won't get it so hot that it melts, and it may just peel off. It might take a little while for it to heat up though, but it is safer than chemicals.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The #0000 steel wool is going to be your best bet, IMHO. It'll abrade the nylon - but effectively only polish the stainless pipe.

All it'll take is time and a fair amount of patience - #0000 is really, really, really fine stuff. If you can focus the effort on the blob - you might even go with some wet/dry sandpaper until it gets too thin. That'd only be to cut the time down, though. Finish up with some Mother's mag & chrome polish to take any super-fine scratches out.

You'll probably make a 'clean' spot on the pipe.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok... I have to know.
Were you checking the front tire pressure????? That's how I did it. ;D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I get the pipe good and hot, then wipe off with a paper towel and a chromed leather glove. if it melts on, it'll melt off.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Northwind said:
I get the pipe good and hot, then wipe off with a paper towel and a chromed leather glove. if it melts on, it'll melt off.
+1 - I heat the pipe up and use a microfiber with some car wax, volia! all gone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. Pipe has a nice polished finish with the exception of the big black spot. I was gassing her up when I realized too late what I had done. I'll start with the least abrasive and go from there. I'll post the results soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used regular old EZ Off oven cleaner. Pretty much the same way you'd clean a funky oven, using the same caveats - rubber gloves, not breathing the funes, etc. Get the pipe nice and hot, apply the oven cleaner, making sure not to get it on any other serfaces, repeat - making sure not to get it on any other surfaces, then wipe it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still working on that spot. Might have to take the steel wool to it. I'll post before and afters when I'm satisfied.

G

·
slider said:
I'm still working on that spot. Might have to take the steel wool to it. I'll post before and afters when I'm satisfied.
Ooo- gonna scratch it. If the heat and mop doesn't work, I'd try floor stripper. That stuff is strong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts