Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did some searching around the forum and didn't really find a write up for this simple task so I figured I would provide a few pics of the process.

First you need to buy a LED flasher relay. They can be found online or at your local parts store.

Locate the fuse/relay under the passenger seat. Pull out the relay so you can access the required wires.

Using a SMALL jewelers flat head screwdriver you slide it into the top of the plug (as if it were the male prong connecting to the female plug) to release the wires from the harness plug.

You can purchase the male connectors at the hardware store so you will have a plug-and-play LED relay.

Connect the Male (relay wires) to the female (OEM harness wires) together and cover with shrink wrap/electrical tape. The solid brown wire (OEM) is the positive for the relay and the light blue (OEM harness wire) is the negative connection to the relay.

Button up the rear end and you're all done. Install any LED's you want and they will flash at normal rates.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Hi sk8142,
Very nice writeup. I like the way you connected up to the harness with the store bought male connectors. I hate cutting OEM wires.

How and where did you mount the replacement flasher?

Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you go to superbrightleds.com, you can buy the relay and it already has the pins on it. just remove them from the included connector and voila!

also, props on the mirrors yo! those are what i have on my current project...

P.S. nice write up!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have went to 2 of our local parts stores looking for a l.e.d. relay w/o luck but I called our local Cycle Gear they have 'em. I gotta do this.
Thnx.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have went to 2 of our local parts stores looking for a l.e.d. relay w/o luck but I called our local Cycle Gear they have 'em. I gotta do this.
Thnx.
It's just a generic flasher relay.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
It's just a generic flasher relay.
No, generic flashers are often load dependent, like the one that comes stock with the SV.

You need a load independent relay, sometimes called an LED Relay, or LED controller.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the compliments guys!

I installed dubtec's FE so that eliminated the stock holding forks for the fuse/relay pack but I just used velcro on the fuse/relay and on the LED relay to stick them in place.

I found the pins at my local auto parts store in the electrical section.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
are those rear-view mirror blinkers bright enough? I see them all of the time and have yet to take the plunge on them.
They aren't terribly bright but they aren't bad.

Also, there aren't as many LEDs as it would appear. Check the ops pics up above.

I have them on my gsxr. I figure those along with flush mounts ought to be visible enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be adding some flush mounts because the signals are not that bright during the day. Night time is fine tho.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Hey thanks for the compliments guys!

I installed dubtec's FE so that eliminated the stock holding forks for the fuse/relay pack but I just used velcro on the fuse/relay and on the LED relay to stick them in place.

I found the pins at my local auto parts store in the electrical section.
I'm not trying to be annoying, but what auto parts store? Napa, Autozone, etc? Or was it a local mom and pop type place?

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was just a local auto parts store. I checked schucks and they didn't have them. If you want... I can send you 2 of mine... since I bought 6 in the pack and I have 4 left over.

PM me your address and I'll send them out later.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
it was just a local auto parts store. I checked schucks and they didn't have them. If you want... I can send you 2 of mine... since I bought 6 in the pack and I have 4 left over.

PM me your address and I'll send them out later.
I'll see if I can find some locally first.

The main reason I wanted them is so I could tell everyone where to get them in my gauge swap writeup.

Does your relay have 3 terminals? I looked at AutoZone and they had some but all had three terminals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has 2 terminals/wires coming out of it. I believe the 3 terminal one's just require an extra ground for the relay itself. So one positive wire to the factory wiring, one negative wire for the factory wiring, and one negative wire for grounding the relay to the bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
do you need one for each side ? im not very good with the elctrical parts of my bike ... i just got leds for the front and back

1 - 20 of 37 Posts