Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you like the twisties as much as I do it's bound to happen one day. You might go into a left turn too hot, or maybe it just didn't look as sharp when you were coming up on it (or, most embarrassing of all, you might not have realized your stand wasn't all the way down).

But either way it happened. Your bike's lying on its left side. Hopefully you had a set of moto/frame sliders so there's no bad damage, but sometimes you shifter will take a hit.

I was lucky. I low-sided into some nice, soft, tall grass. My bike sustained some body damage and the shifter was a little bent:

http://video.google.com/videoplay'docid=-7803100085828416957&q=rex's+lowside

The real problem developed when I got home and tried to 'gently' bend my shifter back into place. It broke off, plain and simple :p. I didn't have the money to order a brand new shifter at the time and like most riders Ebay is my best friend, but 2nd gen shifters haven't made a big appearance there yet. So I decided to fix it myself (at least temporarily) in a fashion I've seen before.

Now don't get me wrong. There's already an article similar to this on SV Rider: http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/dandb/HOW_TO_BRAKEPEDAL.htm, that explains how to shorten you rear brake pedal, but I figured I'd get more specific and focus on the shifter alone. You'll find 'rebuilt' shifters similar to this on ebay, but why bother buying a hacked one, when you can hack your own'

So here's my shifter after the fact:

Keep in mind I removed it to drill the new mounting hole, and I decided to document it later. You could completely file it smooth, but I didn't bother with it.

Now I'll be reusing the same rubber pedal that came stock with my '05 so I need a tube to support the inside of it (plus it braces the bolt that'll hold it on so it won't move while you're shifting gears). You can probably find this at a hardware store, but I had a spare pressure gauge lying around and decided to chop it up.

It's the perfect size and plenty strong so I gave it a try.

Here's the other parts I used. They're just simple things I had plenty of in the garage, but also easy to find in any store:

It's always good to use a lock washer to prevent the pedal from coming loose at an inopportune time (I also use lock-tight). I was just lucky to find a locking bolt in my spare parts drawer. You'll have to cut the little metal tube to the length of the rubber pedal (another reason I used the pressure gauge, it's easy to cut and still strong enough). then just push it into the rubber pedal.

After all the parts come together it's just a matter of screwing them in:

Now, I don't consider this a permanent fix, but until 2nd gen shifters appear on ebay it'll do. I did this hack job months ago and it hasn't came loose once.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Re: Patching up your Shifter (w/picts)

For a neater and simpler version of that, tap an M8 thread into the hole in the lever, then slip the rubber over an M8 bolt and red threadlock it in. That's all it takes really... I broke mine, fixed it this way, crashed and broke it again, shortened the lever and fixed it again :) That was, oh, 6000 miles ago?

Good guide, though!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I have snapped the shifter off twice and the brake once. Each time I have had them welded back together for ~$20. Cheaper than the replacement and plenty strong (unless you like to drop you bike as much as I do)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

2wheelsrbest said:
When you are in a total pinch, hose clamp some L-shaped bracket to end and keep going.
if you in a total pinch, you can just get the tranny in 3rd and ride with one gear

·
Registered
103 Posts

wow, your fix looks nice and clean. Heres what I did, it looks sloppy in comparison.

I bought an after market replacement from ebay for $25. Seams to be as nice if not better construction then the stock one. I got it from one of the most responsive and best sellers I've dealt with yet on ebay.
http://stores.ebay.com/MotorCycle-Sports

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

I bought one on ebay like Grayson and I have to agree that it is better quality than the stock one. I think I used the same seller too. ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts

heh i usually just duct tape the snapped-off bit parallel to the shift arm. gives me enough surface to shift with until the replacement arrives.

although...given the frequency with which i murder my shift lever, last time i decided to order two and keep a spare around ;P

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

nice write up, the pressure gauge seems a little under grade for this, but if it works WTH.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.