Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i can do mechanical bits here and there but when it comes to paint i know nothing about it. Im looking to paint my tail section flat black along with my front fender. What grit sand paper should i use to remove the stock paint and what primer should i use??? Wet sanding dry sanding?? How many coats do you use? and what tips/techniques do you guys have. Thought i would check in with the experts here on svrider before i go to deep into my project thnaks in advance

·
Super Moderator
6,905 Posts
(SNIP)Im looking to paint my tail section flat black along with my front fender. What grit sand paper should i use to remove the stock paint and what primer should i use??? Wet sanding dry sanding?? How many coats do you use? and what tips/techniques do you guys have. Thought i would check in with the experts here on svrider before i go to deep into my project thnaks in advance
Generally...

320 or 400

Don't "remove" the stock paint, just sand it dull. Sand the long way - front to back. Use a 3M Scotchbrite pad (Med) to get in all the tight spots. Don't prime unless you have "feathered-out" a scratch and have gone through the paint significantly.

Wet - always.

3 wet coats should usually cover when using flat black. As you are spraying, watch the "wet edge" in it's reflection (glare from the light) to see exactly how the paint is going on. It needs to go on "wet" and glossy, and will flatten as it dries.

Note that you can't sand and buff flat black. If you were painting a solid color (or using clear) you would want enough paint to be able to color-sand and buff.

Jay

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
If you follow the instructions I posted months back (linked by scoob), you'll get a great looking bike, car, what ever.

Here's the post I have running that describes my steps through the process. It really doesn't take a long time; I just haven't had time to work on it regularly (school, work, etc.).

Other wise I'd have had it done weeks ago.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=93619

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What grit sand paper should i use to remove the stock paint and what primer should i use??? Wet sanding dry sanding?? How many coats do you use? and what tips/techniques do you guys have. Thought i would check in with the experts here on svrider before i go to deep into my project thnaks in advance
you don't need to remove the paint from ABS plastic(the pieces you want to paint) just do a light sanding with 1000grit to rough up the stock paint a little and make sure its very clean, if you're going to use spray paint i suggest rustoleom. This is coming from some one who just finished repainting their bike a few weeks ago...take your time, rushing is the worst thing you can do.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
you don't need to remove the paint from ABS plastic(the pieces you want to paint) just do a light sanding with 1000grit to rough up the stock paint a little and make sure its very clean, if you're going to use spray paint i suggest rustoleom. This is coming from some one who just finished repainting their bike a few weeks ago...take your time, rushing is the worst thing you can do.
1000 grit paper won't do much to scuff up the surface enough, in my experience. I'd use 400 grit. Actually, I'm using 400 grit to prep my surfaces for paint.

1000 is just too fine for that application. 1000 grit is used on the final coat and between clear coats, not for surface prep.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
1000 grit paper won't do much to scuff up the surface enough, in my experience. I'd use 400 grit. Actually, I'm using 400 grit to prep my surfaces for paint.

1000 is just too fine for that application. 1000 grit is used on the final coat and between clear coats, not for surface prep.
if you want to remove the paint 400 will work great but to keep from getting any deep scratches that could show through paint i finallized with 1000, the repair areas on my bike got 220, then 400, then 800, then 1000, then paint(and some spots primer) rustoleom's semi-gloss black takes to the ABS and painted surfaces pretty well...gloss finish was a little more difficult, again this is just what worked for me, the link posted above is very detailed and i'm sure works very well too.

·
Super Moderator
6,905 Posts
if you want to remove the paint 400 will work great but to keep from getting any deep scratches that could show through paint i finallized with 1000, the repair areas on my bike got 220, then 400, then 800, then 1000, then paint(and some spots primer) rustoleom's semi-gloss black takes to the ABS and painted surfaces pretty well...gloss finish was a little more difficult, again this is just what worked for me, the link posted above is very detailed and i'm sure works very well too.
Actually, 1000 is too fine.

You NEED scratches to give the new paint something to adhere to. 1000 grit leaves more of a polished surface that can cause adhesion problem.

400 wet is good, 320 is OK for most also. Any scratches in that grit range will be coverd with the correct application of base coat color. Only time it would be an issue is if you get a solvent reaction between the base and topcoat - "sand scratch swelling" - then a primer-sealer is needed. Bare plastic needs primer before base coat color also.

Most stock paint is fine, painting over repainted parts is almost always a problem.

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts