Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Please suggest the best way to paint the chrome headlight ring from 2020 SV to black? to match the housing color.
Gear shift Computer Automotive lighting Laptop Gadget

·
Registered
162 Posts
Powder coating will work best. If you're going to paint sand with 600 grit, clean with lacquer thinner, and spray. Good paint will be needed, Spray Max gloss black and to enhance the durability use Spray Max 2 part clear gloss, this process worked for me. PJ1 gloss black case paint holds up too. Plasti Dip spray but will probably need to be done every so often, won't stay on like quality paint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ohh boy. Here we are.
Thank you a lot for your explanation.
What is the front brake master cylinder you are running? and levers?
SV1000 master cylinder, Rizoma fluid reservoir & ASV levers. It's the only bike I have without a Brembo master cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
7,079 Posts
For durability, prep is the key. Nothing (including powder) will stick to a smooth surface like chrome very well.

We coat chrome parts all the time, and they are media blasted with 120 grit Steel Grit blasting media to get a frosted surface before powder coating.

Hand sanding chrome is difficult, but better than nothing. I'd say 320 wet may be the best choice if you went that way.

For paint, I like SprayMax trim paint - Satin or Matte. It's as good of a spray paint as I've used. I have used the 2K (2-part) clear as well, but I probably wouldn't on a headlight ring. It is catalyzed, and only lasts for a limited amount of time. The standard 1K should be good with the proper prep. I don't believe you need a primer under it, and I wouldn't use one unless required.

After sanding to a dull finish, wipe dry/blow off. Before spraying wipe with denatured alcohol and blow off. Just covered plus about 1 wet coat is best. Paint has its best durability with minimal thickness, and covered plus 1 coat is usually sufficient. As with most surface coatings - more isn't better.

Jay
www.apexcustomcoating.com

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is how I did mine. I used 400 grit wet/dry sand paper. I wet sand the piece, making sure to remove all the shine, dry completely before painting.
I use this product on all types of steel, seems to really go on nicely and leaves a decent very durable finish.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts