1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eBay: clean 02 gsxr 1000 rectifier for .99 cents ;D

Pentium II cooling fan: .00 cents.

Seeing 14.4 vdc? Priceless!

ElectroSport (http://www.electrexusa.com/) didn't have a SV R/R in stock when I called, but basically said most 4 wire regulators are interchangable.
Most GSXR (TL-R also I'd assume) R/R should work. Just make sure it's a 4-wire, and match up the positive/negative leads. Black leads match to Yellow, any order.

As for cooling? Initial IR temp reading was ~112 degrees F and about 92 degrees F after I added the CPU cooling fan.

..and yes those are chickenstrips, but they came with the used spare rear wheel :p

G

·
Re: Bad Regulator! the .99 cent fix. CPU cooling fans. Yet more gsxr parts

gsxr regulator I have here does not look it would work.

·
Registered
186 Posts

what is the size of the RR ?

I'd like to order the biggest possible fan for this.

I am thinking about doing this as I do a lot of sitting at idle around town in the summer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

4x3x1"

about 40% larger then the SV one.. or something.

I don't know if slapping an extra large fan would make that much difference.. make sure you clear the tail section plastics.
I think someone was experimenting with adding a airflow duct also.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts

I used the heatsink off a mid/late 80's Buick Roadmaster ECU. It was a close fit and it's fricking huge. I then bolted the rec/reg w/heatsink to my custom aluminum fender. Even in the summer after a long day of riding it doesn't even get warm ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

RedAggie03 said:
That's a pretty sweet idea.  Do the 2nd gens have a problem with the R/R going out?
+1 i'd like to know as well

·
Registered
187 Posts

may i ask why you added fans? i don't see the need, maybe for longevity of the unit?

i did the gsxr swap for my new rectifier also, it got hot but not hot enough for me to consider adding a fan...although i do have many intel 486 fans laying around...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

becman said:
may i ask why you added fans?  i don't see the need, maybe for longevity of the unit?

<del> ...although i do have many intel 486 fans laying around...
there you have it ;D 'cause it was there.

I was curious to see if there was a measurable difference (there was, about 15'f), spare fans are a dime/dozen, and it was really just for the hell of it - since I was swapping in the R/R anyways.

·
Registered
397 Posts

How did you attach the fans?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

safety wire, of course. ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts

motorkid said:
safety wire, of course.  ;D
That works awsome.I was dicking around with tyraps.Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts

The EFI bikes don't appear to have the same problems as the reg/rectifier was moved forward to where it can get some air flow.

Just this weekend I relocated my r/r out of the ducktail to the right side of the frame where it can get some airflow. You need to pull apart the loom to run the wires forward but you don't need any additional wiring. A single M6, 1mm pitch, 50mm long bolt is used to secure it. I used the rear mounting hole for the fuel pump. You do need a spacer and I used some rubber washers to help damper vibration. It is a tight fit but it works.

Here are some pics -

Std Loc

And the new location

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

Every time I see this thread come back up to the top, all I can think of is the R/R piddled on the carpet and is being sent to the corner...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

But does it make any difference at all? Really, no way of knowing unless you want to get a few hundred and test them in the lab. I fitted a CBR600RR reg/rec at the weekend, on the basis that it's a very popular model (and the same part pops up in loads of other Hondas and Kwaks) but I've never once heard of one failing- but in SVs and GSXRs it's commonplace. They're also dirt cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.