Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Why: Buying an SV1000 spoiler costs far less than an after market one, especially when you get into painting it to match. Usually they'll cost you $250-$350, but if you are lucky enough to find one from a downed SV1000, you'll get one that's already the right colour, for about $50-$100.

Why not: The primary problem with trying to put 1000's spoiler on a 650 is the bolt holes are not in the right spot, so you can't hook it up to the frame without spending a ton to get mounting brackets for it, or fabricating some.

What you need:
1. Chin spoiler / belly pan from a downed SV1000, $50-$100.
2. 4 heavy duty zap straps (the electrical ones are junk, get the handcuff-strength ones), $5.
3. A drill (hopefully you already have this).
4. An SV650 that is about to look a whole lot better.

In the first pic below, you will see that it is much cleaner than how I had it down last year, with the zap straps all tucked away. You can see where I hooked it up on the four spots. The white spots are from flashlights I had on it to try to get better light (bike is inside). It would look even cleaner if I had all black straps instead of white.

The drill comes into play when installing the rear ones. You could simply loop the zap strap through the outside of the part (as I had last year), but that looks really ghetto. Instead, drill a hole on the inside of the loop that would go around the bolt...this is an internal hole, and you do not see it. Now you can loop the zap strap completely on the inside.

If you are worried about the stability of it, last year the installation saw 220 km/h without so much as a budge. The straps will hold.

All in all, instead of paying $300 for an aftermarket pan/spoiler, spend the $55, then get some Sonic Springs and an undertail.

·
Registered
684 Posts
if your happy with it good, and it doesnt look bad, but if im buying a piece of plastic (or 2) just for looks i want it to fit good (or correctly) i bought mine new and yes it was retarted to pay 269$ for it but i looks good and i like it

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man, I never said spending your money on what you wanted was retarded...I'm just giving an alternative.

From 2' away and farther, all I'm saying is that my way looks the same as yours and costs 1/6 as much.

At the end of the day we need to remind ourselves, this is an SV650, not a $50,000 MV Agusta Tamburini.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That looks good!

I was waitng for someone to do this.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bud. I'll take much better pics when it's outside in the sun, with a more-detailed how-to.

It really doesn't look budget at all like my first temporary attempt:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SVNut,

I agree, it used to look like crap (the pic of it outside).

Once I get it outside again I'll take pics of the new mounting, and it's completely hidden.

·
Registered
340 Posts
sorry didnt mean to sound rude, but i bought an sv 1k chin off ebay, being led to beleive that it was for a 650. ive tried to put that d--n thing on my bike at least 6 different ways. the final result was always (that just doesnt look right).

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not offended at all, don't worry.

I always admitted that it was too high, but I thought it wouldn't be possible to mount it lower without getting some expensive brackets fab'd for it. I posted the above pics just to show some people how it could be done, in order to save them some cash.

Of course a made-for-650 one is going to look better, but hopefully I can help some people spend $50 instead of $300.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I like the SVrider sticker on your holeshot. Looks good and its different :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Personally I'd just fab the brackets. Its extremely easy to do. The spoiler weighs very little, it really doesnt have to be that secure at all so you could use a really thin aluminum that can be bent by hand even. Some tin snips and a drill and voila.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts