Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about this on several occasions. Finally, I remembered to post it.

Riding home at night on a one lane road (one each way separated by a yellow line) I often wonder about the headlights coming toward me: are they going to suddenly swerve into my lane? Or are they going to gradually drift into my lane? In my particular case, the road I'm on as has no shoulder and there is a mild ditch on either side with a fence 20 feet from the road. Not really an appetizing thought to consider that I may have to run into that area.  In this circumstance, where do you find it best that I ride in my lane? Left or center or right or all three (IE mild swerving)?

My initial thought and action is to stay as far away as possible: right side of the lane. Being in the right, though, may cause a drunk driver, or otherwise altered-state-of-mind driver (can be read "bad driver"), to feel that he must be too far to the right of his lane because he's so far from me. If he acts on this, he moves over into my lane and I have no leeway as there is no shoulder.   There is also the left side of the lane to remedy the driver's thought of being too far over in his lane; but he may feel he's too close and move off the road and then correct himself and whammo!  <--- that's me dying.  However, the left does seem good because it generally keeps them in their lane and I have room to swerve if necessary.  In the end, I find myself wanting to stay nearer center. But feeling safer in the right, I kinda move back and forth slowly.

Having the SV650S, the likelihood is a little less as it doesn't look like one side of a cage's headlights.

Then there's the concern about drivers travelling in the same direction (single or multi-lane road scenarios). Do I want them in front or behind? Obviously, it's not a good idea to get near enough to them that one of you is actually passing. Let's just say we have a choice.  I prefer to stay ahead of them (and moving away) if on a highway/freeway but behind them if in traffic or where there will be stops.

I'm about to roll 12k miles on my bike (and myself) in 13 months of riding.  Only in the past couple months has this crossed my mind; it's high-time I query for advice or thoughts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's no correct answer to our question but my personal opinion, and riding style, is to stay left in my lane and move right just before car gets to me.

When in left of lane, you have more options, including going around the to the left if you had to. Besides that, it may help them stay on their side o the line as you suggested.

And, behind a drunk driver is always better than in front of him. And jsut so you know, drinks will floow the lights of the cars infront of them so if you want to pull over to let a drunk pass, DON'T. He'll run you over. Find a side road and make a hard right or left into it. Drunks won't follwo sudden turns, but will follow a slow move to the side. At least that's what I do when I'm driving drunk. :eek:

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Whenever I get the "feel" of an oncoming driver that I fear will, for whatever reason, swerve into my lane I always merge more to the right. I always will. Eating grass is better then eating the grill of a cage.

If I'm going the same way as someone suspicously wierd behind the wheel, I first check to see if the road ahead is pretty much deserted, then I look for my best opportunity and haul ass passed them and keep going out of their sights. I don't want to be behind, in front of, or around any drivers that just give me the "vibe" of being dangerous, whether they are drunk or not.

You gotta look out for yourself, always.

Sh*t, the other MORNING(7 am!) I was coming to a 2 way stop (my road had no stop signs, the perpendicular road did) to turn right. As I was coming up I noticed this pick up truck towing something coming up to the stop sign on the left hand side of the road. I could instantly tell this f*cking idiot was going to roll this stop sign and keep going. Him seeing that I am turning gave him the idea that he can just go through it and beat me.
I was right, it's what he ended up doing. In turn, I heard the car behind me brakes screeching to stop (he was still a good distance behind me) as I had to stop.

Thank goodness I anticipated that like I did or something bad would have happened. And you know what I did? Exactly what I wrote above. Waited for the opportunity to get passed and away from that jack off, threw in a middle finger to his face while passing for good measure.

I'll tell you what, situations like that sometimes make me think twice about riding the bike. Thankfully, those situations have been extremely rare and I have been ready for them.

G

·
As far as head ons are concerned, I'd rather take a wall (closing speed 60 MPH) than a car (closing speed 120 MPH), but either way you're screwed.

+1 to Shaggyz for thinking about this beforehand...

:)

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
That car will cross the center line and hit you before you even know it.

50mph = 73 ft per second
70mph = 102 ft per second

No matter where your bike is in the lane, no matter what gear you have on, no matter what helmet brand or cost of it. A head on with both vehicles going any speed above say 30mph will most likely be your last.

But then again do you really want to live forever.....

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Nexus242 said:
But then again do you really want to live forever.....
Oh sh*t, it's happening.....THREAD JACK TIME!

Have you ever really thought about what it would be like to live forever?

I have had some nights where my mind wanders to strange places. One of them is that subject. I think about it, think about where the world where go, what I would witness, what if the world would end? Would I still be alive floating in space? Etc...seriously it's a big mind f*ck and sometimes I get worked up thinking about it and I have to get up and distract myself.

I have issues. :-\

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thread re-jack! I sometimes wonder if I'd have Incredible Hulk speed and reflex to jump high in the air away from bike and over a car that I would "inevitably smash into." I would just fly over the top of the collision of my bike and the cage and safely(?) land on the ground behind it :eek: But then I come back to reality and consider that if I had that much time to jump high in the air, there's probably a far less consequential way out of said situation

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Well if you're going to go that far, what if you could control the Matrix? You could then manipulate the Matrix to slow down or stop the vehical so you have more then ample time to get outa the way.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It would be cool to just be able to jump over a car and do a little somersault as you hit the ground then stand up.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nick89302 said:
It would be cool to just be able to jump over a car and do a little somersault as you hit the ground then stand up.
Then I'd say "TA DA" but no one would hear me because I'm wearing a helmet.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Then I'd say "TA DA" but no one would hear me because I'm wearing a helmet.
If someone says "TA DA" in a helmet and no one is around to hear it, did he actually say it?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
LMAO

I'm trying to find motivation to go to the living room and watch Napoleon Dynamite (in HD, woohoo!).
I just don't want to get off my ass.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
At night time, unless your following someone, there's no real way of knowing if a driver is intoxicated or not,

I just don't worry about things,  what will happen, will happen,

about the best you can do is avoid high traffic routes the best you can, and that's what minimizes your risk the most

at night, I concern myself more with nocturnal creatures like deer, racoons, possum, skunks

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
As far as head ons are concerned, I'd rather take a wall (closing speed 60 MPH) than a car (closing speed 120 MPH), but either way you're screwed.
This reminds me of physics class, hitting a wall at 60 and hitting a car head on that is also going 60, is the same thing. It doesn't double the speed. But that is for car vs. car with roughly equal mass. On a motorcycle...much different (I'd take the wall too), but the head on is still technically not 120mph collision.

G

·
Yes, I guess you're right. There's more energy involved in the head on, but more mass to dissipate said energy so I suppose it would cancel out...it'd be a real mess either way though!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Yes, I guess you're right. There's more energy involved in the head on, but more mass to dissipate said energy so I suppose it would cancel out...it'd be a real mess either way though!

Yea how about we don't hit ANY walls or ANY cars head-on, cause in all seriousness, that's going to suck the big one on a motorcycle.

As for drunk drivers, its crazy how stupid of things they can do. I've seen a drunk driver hit another car head-on off the road. The drunk driver was driving in the opposing lane, the oncoming car saw it and swerved off the road to dodge the driver, the driver saw the car swerve and apparehently thought there was a turn there cause the other car went off the road, so he followed and ended up still smacking the other car. Stupid :mad:

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
evilbologna said:
Yea how about we don't hit ANY walls or ANY cars head-on, cause in all seriousness, that's going to suck the big one on a motorcycle.

As for drunk drivers, its crazy how stupid of things they can do. I've seen a drunk driver hit another car head-on off the road. The drunk driver was driving in the opposing lane, the oncoming car saw it and swerved off the road to dodge the driver, the driver saw the car swerve and apparehently thought there was a turn there cause the other car went off the road, so he followed and ended up still smacking the other car. Stupid :mad:
That's the same scenario I mentioned about moving away from the car you're about to pass. Bad news

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
That's the same scenario I mentioned about moving away from the car you're about to pass. Bad news
And thats the freaky part. What can ya do? Avoid the situation is all I can think of really.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
You can second guess yourself to death as to which way you should turn, right or left. But like a stated before, driving at 50mph and a distance of 300' (100 yards) between you it will only take 2 seconds for you both to meet at the 50 yard line. So which way would you turn let alone could you tell if the driver was in the wrong lane at that distance on a 2 lane road at night.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts