Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder about using a deep hole saw in place of the multi-drill hole procedure...it would be cleaner for sure- if you could make it work.
I am going to try.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have an 07 too...don't think the baffle is going to come loose either.
And I wacked it with all I got (small sledge hammer, big rubber mallet, 4 lb hammer).

But with the holes drilled out, the sound is much improved.
Kinda of like the in-between loudness. Better than stock but not as loud as a slip on.

Would anyone think it would sound better with the baffle completely out?
I'm just tempted to stop trying and leave it as is.

Gio
Hey, I agree the sound is way better even with holes drilled all the way around for the problematic '07 baffle-ectomy. I'm just going to wait 'till I can afford the Two Brothers M2 that I've been drooling over and just leave the stock can improved, but not wrecked :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tried this on my 07 as well and just left it with a semi-ectomy. I have holes around the end of the muffler and it sounds great. I will be picking up a set of TLR cans soon and will shorten and remove the baffle on those...........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Am I the only one that's thinking about just drilling out holes around the restrictor and calling it good? I'm on an 06 and it sounds like people are having a hard time with later models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^ Yes, take it all the way out.

YOU NEED A BIG 9Lbs. SLEDGE I tried with a mallet, and a 4 lb, then a 2x4, you really need someone to hold the bike and brakes.

WACK AS HARD AS YOU CAN that sucker is in there good. i think everyone who has taken it all the way out will agree with me- it doesnt seem like it will come out, but it will...

like said before, once it is broken loose, you will need pliers and such to pull it out. I drilled a hole in the loose baffle, then used wire and rope and my dodge to pull the dam thing all the way out, and this didnt damage the can at all either.
I got very frustrated with mine. It was loose but it wouldn't come out. I finally brought out the massive sledge and I whacked that thing very hard. At that point, to my surprise, the pipe (along with the baffle) slid right through the muffler like a hot knife through butter.

The pipe was stuck in there good. I thought I royally screwed the muffler for good (at that point it seemed to be my intention anyway.) There was very little room to grab the pipe that I had slammed in there, but I managed to twist and pull it out with a monkey wrench. After working it out I saw the baffle sitting way down in the muffler. I found the longest, narrowest pair of pliers I could (luckily I managed to find a very long one) and it slid right out.

My jaw hit the floor. I was amazed. I couldn't believe what I had just done actually worked.

So, for all attempting this on K7's don't be afraid to really knock that thing in there. I thought it was hopeless and I was in the market for a new muffler, then I just decided to really whack it and it worked.

You may think it is really doing some damage when knocking it deep down in there (and to say it isn't would be lying, but it is doing the kind of damage you want I suppose) but don't lose hope.

If all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My concern with hitting it that hard while its still attached to the bike, would be to bend the muffler's mounting tab.

.. Gregg

·
Registered
184 Posts
^ I was as well, but just to show you, have someone hold the bike and brakes, kick the crap out of the muffler, IT AINT GOIN NOWHERE, Suzuki did a good job mounting the exhaust to the engine and frame...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried this yesterday on an 03 and beat the baffle back inside the muffler, but it is still not broke loose in the back where i can pull it out. I looked inside and it seems that it is still attached to a plate back there, but now the plate is broken and twisted inside of there. I'll probably end up cutting the thing in half and shortening it. Are there any good threads describing the process for shortening the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
108 Posts
i did the mufflerectomy and was not happy with it. i only drilled holes in the baffle. i did not completly remove the baffle so i dont' know how that would sound. theres alot of turbulance and it vibrates the passenger seat alot. it also pffts alot around the wholes making it sound like i drilled holes in the exhaust... which i did. so my opinion is that if you just want a louder deaper sound that doesnt sound quality this is the mod for you. but i wish i had left it. i have now ordered a viper slip on exhaust and ill let yall know what i think of that. so... rant over.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.