Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being booted out of the procrastinators club I decided to start fabricating brackets to install the PIAA driving lights I bought last winter.

I have a few questions to anyone who has installed aux. lighting on their SV.

Did you go legal and tap into the low for fog or high beam for driving, or did you just feed off of the first hot wire you could find, laws be damned?

Did you solder and seal the wires or keep the monster sized connectors that came with your lights? The PIAA set I have was marketed for a cage, so connector size wasn't an issue. With the short pigtails coming out of the lights I am thinking that I will clip the connectors out in the open, and hardsolder/seal there and put in bullet style connectors somewhere less exposed to the elements.

Lastly, where did you put your switch to keep it from getting hosed by the elements? I want to have it as close to the left hand switch cluster for quick access, but I'm concerned about it going haywire the first time I get caught in the rain.

Suggestions, insights, horror stories are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Driving lights

Finished my cutting and grinding of the aluminum tonight. I'm pretty happy with how the brackets turned out. Just got to polish out the dings before sending them out for powdercoating.

now you can see what I meant in my first post about that big, nasty connector.

That ought to light the ride into work a little better.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

those connectors are huge. but more importantly how do they work??

·
Registered
177 Posts

I say paint the connector black and fasten some old transistors and capacitors to it to make it look like it's some l33t sci-fi thing.. tell people the driving lights are lasers.

Your brackets look pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about whether the driving lights were affixed to highs or lows, I'd just make sure I could turn em on and off in case they are crazy bright and you wouldn't want them when someone is close and oncoming. I'd love to have a pair and run them all the time, I love that triangle of lights look.

·
Registered
684 Posts

you should just cut off those connectors and have someone experienced if your not, military knot them and tape them. it would be much sleeker and safer from water. they look good but i think your light is gonna reflect on that reflector and look funny you should paint them or remove them.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the comments everyone! Once I get the brackets back from being coated I'll post pics of the wiring runs and nightime pics.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I like the idea of putting them on the front wheel in order to keep the light low, but what is going to happen when counter steering around a corner at night? It is something that I'm working on figuring out for my bike, and I'm looking to put them up around the radiator or something. I have yet to really sit down and try to figure things out.

Still, it looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of them working at night.

AJ

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Okay, I spent most of Saturday fighting with the wiring harness for the PIAA's. All that is left is going out after sunset and aiming them.

Since the stock harness is meant for a cage, not a bike, I was short in some areas and way too long in others. Lots of creative looping and taping.

The relay ended up living on the lower half of the airbox with some Velcro. Excess lengths of wire were looped and ziptied to the airbox as well. Easy removal in case I need to lift the airbox. Believe it or not, those two spare fuses in the 04 fusebox are hot from the factory. So I tapped into the 10 amp one to power the switch. I didn't want to power it off of the headlight, so now as long as the ignition is on, I can fire up the lights.

The main fuse ended up underneath the left side panel. Easy to get to, but fairly well protected.

I cut off the monster connections at the lights themselves and soldered the wires together. The solder joints were then covered in heatshrink tubing, then the pairs were heatshrunk tubed back to where they went through the steering head holes that Suzuki ran all their wiring through. I triple checked to make sure there would be no binding from lock to lock before I started zip tying the wires to the brake lines and speed cable.

It was getting late, so I didn't have time to aim the lights properly yet. But here are a few pics of how it looks all lit up.
Stock headlight, low beam.

Low beam and the driving lights.

Head on from about 40 feet back.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Re: Driving lights (finished, more pics!)

Those are F'in awesome Magpie........ I wish I still worked in monroeville I would drop by and have you help me wire up a pair of those. So where did you mount the switch to turn em on and off? Could you just wire it into the pass switch (with some modification of course)?

Oh yeah sorry I never emailed you back I was busy when u emailed wanting to ride.....Then I moved out of the area.

Woody

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts

Oh yeah what kind of lights are those exactly? Where did you get them? How much were they? Etc.....Etc.....Etc

Thanks,

Woody

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Woody106 said:
Oh yeah what kind of lights are those exactly? Where did you get them? How much were they? Etc.....Etc.....Etc

Thanks,

Woody
PIAA 004XT driving lights from eBay $80 and $3.00 S/H

One Saturday afternoon and 3 ice cold Becks $2.30

T-6 Alum from work $Free.00

Powdercoat the brackets and grab bar $33.60

The ability to burn out the retina's of the oncoming peckerhead that won't turn off his high beams ... ;D

Where did you move to Woody?

Oh and the switch is temporarily velcroed to the inside of my windscreen. Still trying to figure out where it's permenant home is going to be

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

awsome! imagine if you had dual headlights though

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

B.a. said:
awsome! imagine if you had dual headlights though
Thanks, but no, on the duals. Only way I would go the dual light route is if I found an asymmetrical BMW lamp set super cheap. I don't like the Bates style setup enough to want it on my own bike.

If I ever get a second bike and the SV becomes a toy versus a commuter, I may play with it a bit more. For now though, the only mods left for me are suspension upgrades and possibly powdercoating the rims the same charcoal gray as the engine. The rest of the upgrades will be to the loose screw actually piloting the bike ;D

·
Registered
536 Posts

Just wanted to add my accolades. Those look great. My bike does dual duty as a commuter and a toy, so I've thought about doing this very thing to it.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

e lo said:
Just wanted to add my accolades. Those look great. My bike does dual duty as a commuter and a toy, so I've thought about doing this very thing to it.
Thanks for the kind words :)

First 9 miles of my daily commute are down Rt. 993 at 5 AM. Cut throught the woods and hills, no streetlights, weird curves and hills, and a lot of wildlife (deer, turkey, fox, skunk, etc.) and very few vehicles. Having a bit of mobile daylight is a big help.

Once I figured out what to do with the excess wire, it was pretty easy. If I had to do it again, I would make a custom harness using their relay and switch, but use my own wire to the right lengths.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts

MagpieTear said:
PIAA 004XT driving lights from eBay $80 and $3.00 S/H

One Saturday afternoon and 3 ice cold Becks $2.30

T-6 Alum from work $Free.00

Powdercoat the brackets and grab bar $33.60

The ability to burn out the retina's of the oncoming peckerhead that won't turn off his high beams ... ;D

Where did you move to Woody?

Oh and the switch is temporarily velcroed to the inside of my windscreen. Still trying to figure out where it's permenant home is going to be
I moved to the charleston WV area, But I ride up that way from time to time, I will Email u nextime i head that way.
Those look really nice by the way. Also could you post a pic of the switch that you are using to turn them on and off.

Thanks,

Woody

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts

Oh Yeah! 8)

Nice work there! :eek:

There is no such thing as too much light driving at night!
Make sure you let us know the follow up on adjusting them and how they work out!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.