Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, quick question -

I gotta replace the de-snorkeled, dirty-as-hell air filter in one of my 1st gen's. I got a new stock air filter; it's got this hard plastic that I gotta cut through. An exacto knife won't do the job. How do I cut through it?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Never did it myself, but, I'm guessing: Dremel tool with cut-off wheel (?)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured out a solution: my soldering gun with a flat disc-shaped soldering head.

It cut through the thick plastic quick, but it took me about a hour to complete a full circle because the plastic snorkel itself was flush against the sides of the filter itself on "top/bottom." I had to work around that filter material. When I was done, there were a few holes/gaps for which I used the soldering gun to fill back up with plastic. Great tool, this is.

Exacto knives & box cutters = fail.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Just buy a K&N never have to replace again just pull it out clean and reoil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Yea, get a K&N if you don't mind un-filtered air getting into your engine.

I used a dremel and a grinding bit to hog mine out.

Opened-up K&N on the left, hogged-out stocker on the right. A hogged-out stock filter flows more anyways, but you'll be chasing carb settings for a while.

I'm at 1000' and am using 147.5 mains and 2.5 turns on the idle speed screws (with the requisite 17.5 pilot jets) and an M4 full system..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts