Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some pics of a lot of guys here who cutted their stock exhaust for a shorter one.
I would be interested to try that as a project on my stock exhaust and then paint it black to match the bike.
Anybody here have the steps to do it? or pictures of steps by steps to help me understand?
Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
It depends on your can. Most aftermarket cans allow you to drill out the rivet so you can repack it. I was thinking about cutting down my HMF and all I would have to do is drill out the rivets at the inlet or outlet, cut the can to the desired length, drill new holes that would match the and put it back together.

The problem with stock cans it most have a ton of extra crap in them. Pain in the ars.

Still haven’t decided if I am going to cut mine down. LOL it’s loud enough as it is.

Google is your friend. I even found youtube videos on the subject as well.

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?p=712787
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=67842
http://www.zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/exhaust/BullDog/BulldogExhaust.html

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
There's more out there, but those were the best ones I saw in the first page or so of results.
Best of luck with the cutting!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got a damaged Mircon Titanium I was thinking of doing that with. Shouldn't be that hard. Just getting a nice straight cut might be a trick.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
yeah
measure2 inch away from the pipe hanger, this is where you are going to cut. Make sure you measure in the direction that will preserve the hanger.

tape a piece of masking tape around the circumference of the pipe. This will help you keep a straight cut.

My advice is to use a grinding wheel or metal cutting wheel and cut to the left of the tape flush with the edge of the tape. Don't worry about the smoldering tape, it will come off.

You are going to cut about a 1/2 inch into the metal. Once you get through the top layer to the muffler baffle, the baffle will literally pull right out.

(this can be messy)

use the same grinder and grind down the flange around the muffler cap so that you will be able to separate the cap from the stainless steal can and use the same cap to slip back into the can.

you will need to modify the baffle to make it shorter so it too will now fit into the shortend can. try to preserve as much insulation as possible. You will need to tack weld or rivet the cap in place on the underside out of sight, the back pressure will force the cap out once the can is really warm.

I suggest that you use a grinder and tack welder, the stainless steel they use for this can is hard as hell. I was very impressed. if you use a hack saw you will have a 24 hour project on your hands, with the right tools it's only a 3 hour project.

I don't believe I am forgetting anything, but look at the other threads. But use power tools, it's worth it.

PS you do get back pressure popping with this mod. Its fun if you live in the city. when it pops people duck!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'll probably be shortening my muffler this Sunday. Fortunately My friend has a plasma cutter and a tig welder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts