Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: These are the steps for changing the coolant on a first gen SV. Refer to your service manual for specific instructions for your bike.

1. Place the (cool, not hot) bike on the side stand (you'll see why in step 6).
2. Have a drain pan handy.
3. Remove the cap from the radiator.
4. Loosen the drain bolt on your water pump.
5. Position the drain pan under the stream and remove the drain bolt from the water pump. Be sure to move the drain pan around as the stream of coolant decreases.

6. Shift the bike side to side to get as much of the coolant out as possible. (I found it easiest to sit on my bike instead of doing it from the side.)

7. Pour some distilled water into the radiator cap opening until it runs clear through the water pump drain.

8. Shift the bike from side to side again to get the last bit of water out.

9. Fish the drain bolt from the pan.

10. Tighten the drain bolt back onto the water pump.

11. Locate the coolant reservoir and remove the cap.

12. Locate the coolant reservoir hose and disconnect it from the radiator.

13. Pull the coolant reservoir hose out so that it drains as straight as possible into the drain pan.

14. Shift the bike from side to side to drain the last of the coolant from the reservoir.

15. Pour distilled water into the coolant reservoir until it runs clear through the hose.

16. Reconnect the coolant reservoir hose to the radiator.
17. Place the cap back on the coolant reservoir.
18. Check your service manual for the proper amount of coolant to place in the radiator. Mix the distilled water wth your coolant (or water wetter) with the proper ratio.

19. Pour the new coolant into radiator slowly, so as to minimize the amount of air bubbles in the system, until the coolant sits at the bottom of the radiator cap opening.

20. Shift the bike from side to side a few times to get any air bubbles out.
21. Add more coolant, if necessary.
22. With the cap still off, crank the bike and let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature (I let it run for a few minutes until I could feel heat radiating from the header pipes) and then turn the bike off.
23. Add more coolant, if necessary.
24. Replace the radiator cap.
Just for Tuna and Nexus

25. Fill the coolant reservoir to the full level.

26. Replace the coolant reservoir cap.

27. Take the bike for a test ride. Double check coolant levels.
28. Pour the used coolant into a plastic jug for disposal (just don't let someone mistake it for Kool-Aid! :D )

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Nice write-up. Dam you first gens. I had to drain the coolant on my second gen just to get the clutch cover off. Why did suzuki change the clutch cover design. I'm thinking of looking for a first gen cover just so I don't have to do this again.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Are you working on the bike, or doing a smell check (Did I put on deodorant today? *sniff*.. NOPE!)

lol, good writeup. Would be helpful if I had an SV. Wanna come help me drain the coolant on my GS?

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Great write up :thumbsup:...too bad the pics are so small :( especially the one for Tuna and Nex :notworthy:

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
NiceGuysFinishLast said:

Are you working on the bike, or doing a smell check (Did I put on deodorant today? *sniff*.. NOPE!)

lol, good writeup. Would be helpful if I had an SV. Wanna come help me drain the coolant on my GS?

She's flexing, you just can't see it because her massive biceps are lateral at the moment.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick - :violent1: My hope is it'll help even if you don't have a SV as the basic steps are the same across most bikes - now if you could actually ride your bike over, I'd say sure, I'd help you change it :thefinger:

Ranger - :sign10:

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Girls are actually writing up some great How To: threads here.

If you want to knock it ... suggest that you write your own and make it better! :thefinger: :evil6:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Liren said:
Nick - :violent1: My hope is it'll help even if you don't have a SV as the basic steps are the same across most bikes - now if you could actually ride your bike over, I'd say sure, I'd help you change it :thefinger:

Ranger - :sign10:
c'mon tardo... air/oil cooled.. a coolant change is an oil change!

Great writeup though! :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Warning !

Using this technique will NOT get all the old coolant out of the block. So, if you are just refreshing the same type of coolant, not a big deal. But, if you are changing coolant types, such as from ethylene glycol (green or yellowish stuff) to propylene glycol (often blue and permissable on some tracks), you need to fill the system with distilled water--drive it until it reaches FULL operating temperature, drain and repeat as necessary until the water is draining clear. Ask me how I know this...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
more write-ups of hot women working on motorcycles, please.
(even if it's already been done, I think Liren should re-do all the old how-to's with pictures of her! ...now if only I can get someone as hot as her to teach my class, maybe I would actually pay attention!!;D)

actually, this is a really great how-to, and it's going to be quite helpful. I never knew how to drain the res. thanks a lot!

now, if only I can figure out which anti-freeze to purchase... green, or red or orange.... ugh. (I have water-wetter in there now because it used to leak, but now it's okay, so I need to change back to anti-freeze...)

and, is it really necessary to do what Pilot said to drain all the coolant if i'm only changing it for street riding?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Nothing wrong with seeing a girl that likes to get her hands dirtying fixing her own bike!!! Go Girl Power!!!!! :p

24. Replace the radiator cap.
Just for Tuna and Nexus
Liren words just simply can't express what I'm feeling right now!!!!

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, now I understand where the out of the blue PM came from :lol:

Apollo - come to an STT track day. I recently joined their novice track instructor team :D I'll teach you. Heh heh heh.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you reverse steps 3 and 4 (remove the drain plug before the radiator cap), you won't have to worry about losing the drain plug in the tray. Only a couple of drops (if any) coolant will come out. Then you can remove the set screw from the radiator cap, position the tray, mount the bike, get it in position, then remove the radiator cap and watch the old coolant come gushing out.

Also, I found that I really needed to use a 12-point socket on the drain plug. It began to round off with almost no torque with a 6-point socket.

The above applies to my 2nd gen bike. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time I have to flush a bike - which may be soon as my bike currently has water wetter in it. Need to prep it for freezing temps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.