Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Looks good so far..I only watched a minute or so..I'll have to watch the rest at lunch. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems fairly accurate "Nancy". :D
haha! One of the shops that sponsors us gave me and Mike (also on here) those. Mine says "Nancy" because everyone was teasing me about being a "Nancy" and his says "Shirly" - "Stop calling me Shirly" :)

dp

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
OK, so now I watched it...here's my input:

Great vid and explanation of everything. Couple things I do a little differently to make it easier:

1. Once I have the axle nut loosened, but before I pull of the wheel, I'll push it as far forward as it will go to get as much slack in the chain as possible, and then spin the wheel to get the chain off and set to the side, the same way you did. With my Sv1K and the GSXR 600, I can not pull the wheel off/down enough to get the chain off, unless I do it the way I mentioned above.

2. Its a little different when taking the wheel off for me...I do it on ground level, vs where you are doing it on a lift. When I pull the wheel off, while taking the axle out..I actually sit behind the bike with my butt on the ground...it would be indian style, but I use the inside sides of my feet to hold the wheel in place, from underneath. I hold the top of the wheel up with my right hand and pull the axle out with my left...once the axle is out..nothing drops..its still in place and I can slowly lower it to ground level and set aside the caliper/hanger and spacers.

This vid was just the removal..so I am guessing you will get the reinstall in another one..one little tip I like to use, is a spare axle for reinstall. Sometimes its a pain the arse to get the axle in from the right side...you have to get the caliper hanger, then spacer, wheel, cush drive, and finally the drive side spacer all in line for it to go easy. I'll start from the left side with the spare axle...and push it along, getting everything aligned right through to the right side of the swingarm..then I'll push in the normally used axle in from the right, while slowly pulling the spare axle axle form the left as I go..again...using my feet to hold the wheel in place so nothing drops during the axle swap.

·
Registered
358 Posts
OK, so now I watched it...here's my input:

2. Its a little different when taking the wheel off for me...I do it on ground level, vs where you are doing it on a lift. When I pull the wheel off, while taking the axle out..I actually sit behind the bike with my butt on the ground...it would be indian style, but I use the inside sides of my feet to hold the wheel in place, from underneath. I hold the top of the wheel up with my right hand and pull the axle out with my left...once the axle is out..nothing drops..its still in place and I can slowly lower it to ground level and set aside the caliper/hanger and spacers.
+1 that is how I did mine at home, worked pretty well

Good vid, definately helps those who have never done it before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great video.

I have used wooden blocks under the tire to keep it in place while the axle is removed. It helps with reinstalling the axle too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you! It helps a lot to see a video of what to do if you havent done it before.. makes it seem so much easier. Now we just need videos of everything! :)

Shuluke

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Great video...I had no clue how to remove a rear tire...Now I have an idea and it doesn't look that hard...It definitely helps people like me that haven't done it or have no experience whatsoever on motorcycles...I really hope to see more videos from you guys....Good job and thank you...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've never done it before... And it all makes sense now. I think i'm gonna take the wheels off myself next time i need tires... And may be now that i've seen it happen i may go and paint my SA black.

·
Registered
524 Posts
But please before i do anything teach me to put it back in.. ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
you just made my life a lot easier.. i need to get a set of stands now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts