Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this in an old post. i even forgot who first did it.

but i've been very bored this winter and have been messing with the electrics a bit.

got a power lock mechanism for a car door and hooked it up to two buttons. now i don't need the key anymore to open the trunk. the bike has to be on for the mechanism to work so there's not too much security issue. i used 2 bottons that have to be pushed to avoid the accidental push of one and have my passenger fly off... similiar to a james bond bad-guy ejection seat.

here's some pics and a video: (it's not totally done yet.. will put the button into the rear tail section somewhere soon)

RIGHT CLICK AND 'SAVE AS' for VIDEO

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Re: Automatic trunk pop

cool iidea!
+1 for originality.
Just hope your battery doesnt die while your out somewhere, and you need to get into tail to get out your toolkit!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

it's not original. but i think its the 2nd time its been done
if the battery dies i'm F'd. and my battery dies alot. i can always jump start it down a hill or with a push. that should solve that problem.
it works really well. i'll mount the switch just below teh seat rim in the front so you can press the buttons with your fingers while you're lifting up the seat.

i was tired of having to turn the bike off, take out the key, reinsert the key just to open up the rear seat.

not sure it's a worthwhile mod because it
a) slightly increases weight
b) increases complexity
c) sets up another system to fail.

but i think its tits.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts

eh, the increased weight is minimal.
go on a diet and drop a couple pounds to counteract it.
I think its pretty cool too- cant wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
684 Posts

i didnt even think about taking out the key to open the trunk!!! that is a pain in the ass. especially if its dark and it would be nice to leave the headlight on!! i like it even better now!

·
Registered
156 Posts

I like it

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts

You could always have another key made so you don't have to shut the bike off ;D

Seriously it looks good, nice work!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Coop said:
You could always have another key made so you don't have to shut the bike off ;D

Seriously it looks good, nice work!
yeah, but then i would have to get dressed and leave the house.
this way i can stay in sweat pants, order stuff on line and head to the garge with a beer once in a while.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

was putting a plug in the old keyhole hole tonight. used superglue to seal it up. last step in putting the bike back together.

managed to glue my fingers together. thank god i didn't itch my balls. that would have made work very difficult tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

damn you beat me to it!!!!!!!!! oh well i got another trick up my sleeve. by the way you might want to think of a back up release for the seat. god only knows how hard it would be to take it all apart if you can't get the seat off due to a fryed selenoid. ;D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

All done!!

It's set up so you have to hit 2 buttons. tried to hide them under the shelf of the rear seat. it's a little tight to get your fingers on them, but they are protected from the elements and accidental pushes. hopefully i can get to it with gloves on.

Here's some pics of the controls:

·
Registered
53 Posts

That's a way cool mod!
If it was me I would have put the switch on the handle bar, just in case I needed to eject an evil or ugly girl off the back james bond style. ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I love Twins said:
That's a way cool mod!
If it was me I would have put the switch on the handle bar, just in case I needed to eject an evil or ugly girl off the back james bond style. ;)
haha!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.