Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take the rear wheel off to bring it for a new tire thanks to a nail. Anyway, removing it wasn't too difficult but holy shit is remounting nearly impossible. I either miss guide the disc into the caliper, or if I do get it, one of the friggin collars falls off. This is really frustrating. Should I mount the chain AFTER I install the wheel? Any tips for to make this one man job easy?

Gonna go back out in this God awful heat and try again. I hope someone can post something for when I check back in a few minutes. Between sweating my ass off, touching the tires and brake disc accidentally with greasy gloves, I'm about to blow a gasket. :evil:

HELP

·
Registered
236 Posts
i dont understand what the prob is. it takes me about 5 minutes. mount the chain after you get the axle through. first slide it into the pads(brake) then slide the axle through.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is the fucking collars. Either one falls off as I guide the wheel up. Doesn't help I have a huge shovel in my way. I got it partially. Does axel need to be banged in or should it slide right in?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The collars that go on both sides the wheel, they sit between the swingarm and the wheel. If it only takes you 5 minutes, I'd assume you know what I'm talking about.. :?

Anyway, I'm a noob at MC maintenance, hence my problems. Got the wheel on, but now I'm having a bitch of a time lining things up correctly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2x4

Merlot,

The "Collars" you are referring to are the wheel spacers I think.

I like to use a 2 x 4 on the floor and roll the tire up onto the 2 x 4 to get the wheel close. I like to place the chain on the sprocket prior to inserting the axle in effort to keep the adjusters untouched providing your chain slack was good prior to removing the wheel.

After the chain is on the sprocket try inserting the spacers. Then the axle. A little grease on the axle is your friend. Grease may also help hold your spacers in place.

Craig
'05 Sv650S

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: 2x4

Craigmri said:
Grease may also help hold your spacers in place.

Craig
'05 Sv650S
That really is the ticket to success.

I didn't have any problems, and a mallet comes in handy to tap the axel through.

With wheels, it always seems that disassembly is easier than asseembly. Well I guess that it true with almost everything.

N

·
0 Posts
Uncivilized as it may be, I sit on my butt behind the bike and lift the wheel into place with my feet then bang the axle through. It gives the neighbors something (else!) to talk about!

:)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I was refering to the spacers. The service manual calls them collars. I never finished the job as a htunderstorm was rolling in. I was having problems aligning the wheel according to the plate guidline thingies. The problem with them, at least on the sprocket side, is that when you loosen the axel nut, it has free play and can move one full line.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to wait till Sat., take the wheel back off and clean everything, grease the collars/spacers, and take my time. Untill then I'll take more suggestions to make it easier. ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I know what you mean about the spacers falling out and getting the rotor in the caliper can be a major PIA! I definitely use grease and a rubber mallet to get the axle in. I also actually take the rear caliper off... its really simple actually... then put the wheel on, and the caliper back on last.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Uncivilized as it may be, I sit on my butt behind the bike and lift the wheel into place with my feet then bang the axle through. It gives the neighbors something (else!) to talk about!

That's my method also...

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
nc_sv650 said:

HA!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Step one

Remove the caliper. Trust me, it's worth the slight effort. Put the wheel in place, loop the chain around the sprocket. Put the collars in place and then lift the tire up between the swingarms. Now you can start the axle in. My axle slides through just twisting it back and forth. You do have to have the wheel aligned decently. The 2 X 4 under the tire works, as does any sort of shim to hold the tire up.

If it takes more than a couple of minutes then you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally mounted the wheel this weekend. I tried removing the caliper like a few of you suggested. I removed the 12mm bolt and tried to rotate the caliper our of the way, but it didn't work out so well. I put it back (after cursing the brake pads from not going back in), then noticed I accidentally pushed one pad into the other. I slide a peice of medal inbetween them and proceeded to spread the pads apart. The disc slide right :)

Hopefully next time won't take so long, but it was my first time doing this. Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yellow Nudist said:
Use the axle and the big nut... dont forget your cotter pin.
Speaking of that cotter pin! How many times can you reuse that bugger? Anybody happen to know the cotter pin size right off hand.
Cheers! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Technically, the cotter pin is supposed to be replaced everytime you remove it. Personally, I just replaced mine with a hitch pin and safetywired it to the chain guard hole but my bike is a racebike.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
nicksvs said:
Technically, the cotter pin is supposed to be replaced everytime you remove it.  Personally, I just replaced mine with a hitch pin and safetywired it to the chain guard hole but my bike is a racebike.
you can do this for the street too. That's my next move.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts