Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a feel for what people generally do. I realize some people baby the bike mechanically probably more than necessary...

Please post:

How often you change your oil, by mileage, time, when there's a full moon, whatever

What type of oil (synthetic, whatever the dealer put it, etc.)

Current mileage of bike and if you've had engine problems or something relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add mine.

Changed once a year in the spring no matter the miles the past season

I use rotella t6 synthetic now but used a semi-syn the first 1000 miles or so.

Have about 15k now. No problems so far with what I've been doing

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I waste oil.

I change mine about every three thousand miles give or take. I realize this is overkill, but oil changes are cheap, easy, and no harm is done by changing more frequently than recommended. I also replace the filter with every oil change.

I use Rotella synthetic.

I have 19,000 miles, with no problems... But the engine's still too young for that to really mean anything.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Change oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I use Repsol 10w-40 semi synthetic blend.

Got 30k miles, never had a problem

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Oil every 4000 miles or so, and filter every-other oil change.

Use Rotella synthetic like a lot of others here.

Bike is 2003, and has 128,000 miles. Motor was replaced with a low-miles used motor at 105,000 miles (valve guides shot, consuming oil)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have 61,000 on the odometer. I rode it for a year w/out my odo. working... and that was when I averaged 8-10k a year. So conservatively, I have 68k on the bike. I use rotella t 15 40 and change it at around 3k. Oil filter every other time. Nothing has been done to my engine.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Every 3000, Castrol semi-syn 10W-40 and a new Napa Gold filter and new drain plug gasket every time. 27k. No issues.

·
Administrator
11,024 Posts
Am I supposed to change the oil?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Rotella 15w-50 dino oil. Hiflo filter #138 (same as k&n minus nut welded to top and 1/2 the price. Fram is only filter I refuse to use due to quality).
Change oil and filter every 5k miles to keep the numbers easy.
So far 22k on my k6s no probs

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
788 Posts
Every 3000-3500 miles. Suzuki oil conventional. Filter every other oil change

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
788 Posts
Every 3k. with rotilla 5/40, but i,m old school.
Sold it with 77k. trouble free miles. :)
...I thought about selling my sv...moving my zx10 to an everyday bike and getting a busa.

Then I really thought about. The sv IS a trouble free bike. Why did you sell?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. So I guess most people go by miles. I don't mind the 4k in owners manual but every 6 months??C'mon seriously...

It seems like the bike is pretty robust in general. People seem to routinely be able to get 50k+ out of it regardless of how it is treated, judging by the comments here.

Danimal - that's an insane # of miles! Do you think you would have been able to get more if you had done anything differently?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.