Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Pilot Powers on my SV and find that I'm losing about 10% tire pressure in two weeks. I'm wondering if this is average or not.

What's your experience with tire pressure over time?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had my bike now for a year and last month I added air for the first time. It wasn't low or anything, I just wanted to see what it was like riding with more air in the tires.

My Ninja looses air quicker, though. I need to add air once a month or so.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Brand new tires on a brand new bike, so I'm not expecting that to last for long.

Although, now that I think about it, it is possible that the dealer filled it up pretty high just before selling it to me and when I took it in for the first service. I don't really track how much it's losing, just when it's below spec.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just added air last week, the first time since I bought the bike (3 months), and most of the pressure I lost was by checking it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you're losing small amounts of air pressure (1-5 pounds per day) you might want to check/replace the valve cores: core remover tool is ~$5 and new cores ~$1 each.

Just make sure the pressure isn't going down simply due to cooling ambient air temp. IIRC, tire psi will fluctuate around 1 psi per 10 degree F change in temperature.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
you shouldn't have to be adding air that often...

if you/we get a cold stretch, now that will cause the tires to need air...

i check mine before any 'spirited' riding...

and like chubble said, check the valve stems..

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last time I aired up it was 40*F, tires cold (not ridden). I checked today and it was 68*F and was down 3 psi in the front and 6 psi in the rear. The differential in temperature made up for some of the loss.

Swapping valve cores seems logical; I've got new ones already. I'll do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you are having to fill up more than once a month, you need new valve stems. I replaced both mine with stainless stems and haven't had to fill them up since.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I got my sv brand new on Jun 20 2008. When I took out my bike a few weeks ago from storage I had to add about 5 psi in the rear and 4 psi in the front. When I stored the bike in November, the PSI reading was low by 1 pound for front and back.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I check the tire pressure before I ride. I loose 2-3 lbs every couple of weeks or so. I always use a digital pressure gauge to ensure accuracy.

murfy

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The way I look at it is that if it's low it'll grip better when I'm leaned over after the tires are warmed up.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Never for me! I got nitrogen in my tires, we got a new nitrogen generator at work to play with so everybody has been putting it in their cars and bikes. Supposedly nitrogen has bigger molecules and doesn't seep out in the usual places so we will find out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts