Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at all the info about exhaust pipe mod one the factory pipe. I went out to home depot and got a 1-1/4" steel pipe nipple, then went at it.

The drill bit broke off after 5 seconds of drilling. (Note beer in background of pics at my house garage). Dad came by and drank my last beer and took his drill back, after complaining that he did not like steam whistle beer.

Plan "B" after looking at the end of the pipes on the web page and comparing them to my pipe I realized that I must have a newer type of exhaust that can't be extracted easily. There is a flared ring of metal around the inner pipe to keep the pipe from coming out and to prevent someone from drilling them out. I decided to go to my old hydraulic repair  / machine shop were I used to work.

"With an 400 Amp Arc Air Torch nothing may stand in my way!!"

I threw a ground clamp on one of the support brackets and blasted away the flared ring at the end of the pipe and the last 1-1/2" inches of the smaller exhaust pipe. Then I blasted away the metal around the inner pipe. I then took a look inside and noticed that I do have a different style of exhaust than described in an earlier post. I seem to have a middle plate with two small holes in the bottom and one in the top that goes out the end of the pipe can. I left the pipe in and hammered it over to one side and Mig Welded the inner pipe to what was left of the ring that it was welded to.

I noticed that some of the weld blew into the pipe and there was some carbon slag from the arc air torch. so I ground some of the slag off. I plan to do some more at home in my garage. I was going to blue the can with the big oxy/acet torch but the dumb asses that own the shop now left the gas on, and the bottles were empty. Sounds great cost nothing to do.

As I was driving home I decided to give it a good rev to get anything out of the pipe. I did not notice the guy on a bicycle and just about scared him off his bike. I felt bad about the guy on the peddle bike so on the way home I noticed a turtle lying on the middle of the road I stopped and put him into the bushes (while still chuckling about the guy on the pedal bike). That way if God was watching it wouldn?t make me look like a total bastard.

If you want some pics all you got to do is E-mail   [email protected]   me back and tell me how the [email protected]#$% you add pics.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Internal construction sounds the same as mine. I have had the inside completely opened up before. Glad to hear you were able to overcome adversity. I have seen a few give up.:(

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Yep... Your's sounds just like every other 03+ SV so far. There are pictures, too. The way those two holes works is that the exhaust comes in one and bounces around inside the chamber near the end of the can, goes back down into the other hole and then comes out the long tube that you were trying to remove. It's a "chambered" exhaust.
After I was able to drill a few holes before my cheapo bit broke, I took my 4lb sledge and a flathead screwdriver and rather easily punched holes through the ring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts