Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that this bike is not a crotch rocket but how much power can I expect from a pipe or slip on for a 2nd gen bike?

Is it worth getting a pipe for performance because most of the posts I'm reading discuss how great the bike sounds but not how much faster it is, I have had bikes that have responded well to a pipe and I've also had a couple that have only become louder.

Anyway if you have upgraded your bike please let me know your thoughts. Btw I did search but I couldnt find such a thread even though I'm sure this is a frequently asked question.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No power gains, Most probably will hurt throttle response and power curve very slightly.
The factory fuel map is made in conjunction with the factory exhaust.

You may notice a difference or you may not, but the sound is of these little v-twins are spectacular.
If you wanted power gains it would need to be tuned on a factory pro dyno tuner after you have finished modifying your SV.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I didn't notice any more power with my m4 slip on, but it also didn't lose any that I can tell. If you want more power, you'll have to go for a full system. That also will require a tune via power commander or the like and a dyno.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Without an after market programmer and some dyno time you won't notice any power "gains", your peak power will moved to a slightly higher rpm and you may or may not experience some popping or backfiring on deceleration from a lean condition.

Mine lost a good bit of grunt below 4k rpm by going with a slip-on and nothing else and i could feel with my but dyno no extra power above that, then I added a more restrictive K&N filter which richened it back up and gave me some bottom end back and eliminated the popping on decel.

Overall since I elected not to use a programmer I think I lost more on the bottom than I gained in the mid or top range, the Sv is'nt very responsive to upgrades like some bikes are.

Personally I did it for the sound and gave up on more power because you can toss thousands into the Sv and gain maybe 10hp and then have to worry about blowing your crank apart.

The suspension and brakes however are incredibly responsive to upgrades and cost much less with ebay and some patience.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Dyno charts from performance parts vendors look very different from acual dyno charts.

Don't you think it is fishy that every single part you buy guarantees a 15% increase in power and its more than any leading competitor even though they promise the same 15% increase?

And how come just a slip-on alone can net you a 15% increase in power yet a fully built superbike spec Sv engine only delivers maybe 15% lol, why not just do the exhaust and not bother with the other $3k worth of engine work lol.

204 Posts
It's purely for sound/looks, there's no point in trying to squeeze more power out of these little v-twins.

You won't notice any performance difference, but if you got a short/fat can, you may actually lose a little power. These bikes like long, skinny exhausts.

So....just get the cheapest slip-on you can.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Should give you more power than a R1 ....

Oh it doesnt you say. My bad ;D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Dyno charts from performance parts vendors look very different from acual dyno charts.

Don't you think it is fishy that every single part you buy guarantees a 15% increase in power and its more than any leading competitor even though they promise the same 15% increase?

And how come just a slip-on alone can net you a 15% increase in power yet a fully built superbike spec Sv engine only delivers maybe 15% lol, why not just do the exhaust and not bother with the other $3k worth of engine work lol.
15% gains? The graph shows a difference in peak power jumping from 72 to 74. Haha, that's a 2.7% increase in power. I could see that being realistic. My point in linking that dyno was to show that a slip on won't gain you much; 2hp is nothing. You won't feel 2 hp. Your bike could change power output by 2hp if the weather changes.

Sure, the graph came from the manufacturer, but I really don't think they need to fudge numbers. They're only claiming 2hp worth of gains, which isn't much. Maybe it really only adds 1.5hp and they lied about a half of a horsepower. Either way, your butt-dyno won't tell the difference.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I added the Holeshot slip on to gain back some of the torque lost from a gearing change (15/45 to 16/45) at highway speeds, which is usually about 5000-5500 RPM. It did make a noticeable difference. I should add that I did not try it before adding washers under the carb needles (included with the slip on kit).

http://www.holeshot.com/sv650/slipons.html

The dyno chart currently shown is for a 2003. The old chart shows a gain of about 2.5 to 3 ft/lbs right in the range I was looking for.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you don't like loud noises stick to stock. The real gain is weight loss and if you aren't willing to shell out money to purchase a pipe and at least tfi tune it don't bother. My 2 cents. I have a two bros 1st gen pipe on my 2nd gen SV and it sounds deep and rumbly. I had to tfi tune it (previous owner didn't tune) and have a K&N airfilter. It makes you feel badass and more confident which makes you faster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is a real dyno chart, from my 07. It has PC3, M4 slip-on, BMC race filter, and is de-snorkeled. I knew going in that I was not going to get huge gains. I did it because I could feel the dip in power from 4.5k to 6.5k rpm and it really bugged me. Even though the gains where minimal the smoothness in the power delivery was worth every penny.

edit - The bottom line is with M4 slip-on, stock ecu, stock air filter, stock snorkel.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
On my 1gen, going from stock to slip on, no noticeable difference. Sounded better. Then I went to a full Yoshi RS-3, and jetted it correctly for that, and there was a noticeable difference, mainly at low/midrange. The throttle response felt quicker and better. It felt like the bike weighed less is how I remember thinking of it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods59,SV650,03.html
Check out the VEL-S59-3570 dyno test. 10% torque boost from 5500 to 7500 rpm (where you can really feel it).
More hp/$ than any other mod I've seen.
How do you get "10%" gain from that chart? Maybe my math is incorrect but none of the gains shown on chart represent 10% of sv650's power. 10% of (appx) 70 HP is 7..... these just seem like gimmick product for desperate peeps. If ur worried about 2-3 HP gains like it sumthin spectacular throw a for sale sign in the 650 an upgrade to better bike

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Originally Posted by steveSLO
http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods59,SV650,03.html
Check out the VEL-S59-3570 dyno test. 10% torque boost from 5500 to 7500 rpm (where you can really feel it).
More hp/$ than any other mod I've seen.
How do you get "10%" gain from that chart? Maybe my math is incorrect but none of the gains shown on chart represent 10% of sv650's power. 10% of (appx) 70 HP is 7..... these just seem like gimmick product for desperate peeps. If ur worried about 2-3 HP gains like it sumthin spectacular throw a for sale sign in the 650 an upgrade to better bike
I said 10% increase in torque for the VEL-S59-3570, not HP.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe I'm confused but maybe your confusing. Anyway have you personally tried tis item? If so have you had bike dyno'd before an after,? Where is the chart? And after you pay 700$ for your exhaust 350 for pc3 kn filter 50$ this rediculous mod your endorsing 130$ . How much are you willing to bet that you don't get smoked by my bone stock sv1k? Or that you don't get smoked by any other bone stock i4 600? Its a waste of $ don't do it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts