Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, how serious is everyone's addiction?
between garage rent, gear, tires, brakes, oil, tools, minigp, nsr/crf/etc, mods, etc. I feel like I buy an sv or two every year :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Me too, next year ill be taking it easy, prob only 1k or so. I have everything I need already

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The last 3 years including insurance I'd say between 800-1000 per year. This year may be more since I have a couple projects going. So easy to spend money on bikes :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well not sure how much b/c I haven't owned my bike a year yet. But my g/f has explained to me that I'm spending more money on bike stuff then on her :-/ I guess I need to slow down. I'm buying stuff every pay day.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
This year was in the $2000 ballpark for new gear for both of us. Insurance is only a couple hundred a year for both bikes, gas is reasonable. We'll both get by on our current tires this year... Biya sunk a few hundo into mods this past winter, and I've got a few hundo worth to do on mine now. It's looking like this year will be under $3500 total (not including the bikes themselves).

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am on my 2nd year with the SV and at 1k for parts...

As for gear, probably 100-200 this year.

I think the trick is to use your gear as long as you can :)

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the trick is to use your gear as long as you can :)
yes, but I have 4 separate sets of gear... some of which gets trashed and replaced every season (1pc and boots and gloves)

cold weather pants/jacket
leather street jacket
mesh pants
medium weather pants
race boots
street boots
a few different glove setups (knox for racing, ss for street, a* mesh)
a few different helmets (track lid thats a bit beat up, street lid that's clean, motocross lid for hot days)
1pc leathers for track

·
Registered
905 Posts
First two years, not much - though last year I had an accident and had to rebuild the front end. This year I discovered track days, and suddenly I've spent quite a lot of money. I believe the correlation between the two may indeed indicate causation in this circumstance. I also will likely need to get a new sprocket and chain by the end of the riding season, and I need to check my valves... feh.

Let's try and total this year:
Insurance - $200, tires - $350, Oil & filter - $30, Riding gear - $600, Track day fees & transport - $600. Boy, I'm sure glad I bought a motorcycle to save some money on gas. I'm clearly ahead here!

Though when I was younger, I bought a ton of tools in anticipation of becoming a career mechanic. That didn't pan out too well. Still paying that loan years later... while it's nice to have quality tools, I could have finished my BS with the money I've spent on those. Not worth it at all. :(

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Probably about $2500 or more. Big chunk of that is insurance (yay Ontario) and the rest being track fees, gear refreshing/repairs and maintenance items (2-3 sets of tires per season minimum, chain/sprockets, etc).

I don't cage so my 2 wheelers have to be 99.999%.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
This year's new gear was high end helmets, a bunch of new gloves for warm and cold weather, knee/shin gaurds and proper street boots (all X2). Biya wants a mesh jacket now that it's so brutally hot here, and we may still get kevlar jeans this year. I recently got a tailbag, and it's been really handy. Will probably pick up a second one soon for Biya.

Next year's gear will be 2 piece leathers, race boots and gloves for play days. Again, X2. After that we'll be all done with moto gear until something either wears out or gets crashed in.

Bikes are about the only thing I know of that make horses look cheap.

·
Registered
788 Posts
First 2 years, 3000 total. That's not including insurance. Now I'm about 750 a year.

Gear is holding up great. Plus I buy offseason so I get great deals.

Most money is in the form of tires(new and patch repairs) and chain/sprocket replacement.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
So, I got outfitted for track this year... That's:
suit, gloves, bck prtctr, boots, new helm when I had a get off at SPR, frame sliders, swing arm sliders new bars, 434 levers, engine oil/filters, fork oil, penske 8981 to replace 8900e, nitrogen crap and a rebuild kit (+$80 special tool) for penske, various tools to fix the ole girl, one set of tires (pp 2ct). I think that's about it. Oh and track fees and fuel.

Still need steering stem stand, but other than that, it's still a very expensive year! Pretty much won't buy stuff for long time

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
20 Posts
I cant believe how cheap your guys' insurance is ****, I pay around 700 for 4 months. Clean record, no crashes etc. but I am a male under 25 in Canada : /

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
This year?

New clutch plates before the season started... $80 I think.

2 Track days - $400 (actually this is going ot be a couple hundred more with lodging/gas/food associated with track days)

New Jacket - $80

New Rear sets - $250

New rear brake pads- $40

----

Think that's it so far this season. Still planning 2-3 more track days. Hopefully my tires hold up for the rest of the reason.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've only owned the SV for 6 months now, and I've spent somewhere close to 1500 on mods and gear. I think I'm good for now, though, that initial investment on gear is what does it. Just tires, suspension, maybe steel brake lines, exhaust...:lmao:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts