Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

How much insurance do you carry on the bike?

• Liability only-25/50

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Full coverage-25/50 across the board

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Full coverage-50/100 across the board

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • MORE insurance is ALWAYS BETTER.

Votes: 27 36.5%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just renewed my policy and switched from progressive to Geico.
I lowered my liability and collision/comp from 100/300 to 25/50, but now I having second thoughts. I cannot imagine doing more than $50k in damages with a bike (unless I hit a pedestrian??).
How much insurance do you carry? I am thinking if I split the difference that will be adequate.

Thanks-B

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You need a few more options. I've got full coverage 250/500 on the SV and Husky, and the same levels without collision on my Kawi since I only ride it in the woods.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I lowered my liability and collision/comp from 100/300 to 25/50, but now I having second thoughts. I cannot imagine doing more than $50k in damages with a bike (unless I hit a pedestrian??).
How much insurance do you carry? I am thinking if I split the difference that will be adequate.

Thanks-B
I have 50/100 but I would like to have 100/300

Well, the issue is that the liability will limit the amount of UM you can have.

So, in order for me to have $50K of UM, I need to also have $50K in liability.

If an UM hits me and run, $50K worth of medical bills is nothing...

The way the limits work, $100/$300 for example, if you ride along and you get hit, you only have $100 available to you. If you have a passanger and you both are hurt, then you can split the $300 total.

I just got my SV last weekend, got a great deal on the bike and I just got insurance on it this past Monday with State Farm, $480/YR, $50/$100 limits for liability/UM and $500 deductible on Comp and Collision.

How much are other paying for the same amount of coverage ?

·
Registered
153 Posts

Thanks-B
You're found at fault in an accident with a high priced exotic car that then hits another high priced car (or two).

You are found at fault to have caused extensive property damage, in addition to wrecking another vehicle. That mercedes? It's worth 90K.

When looking at insurance, consider not just a single vehicles issue, but multiple or the aspect of vehicle and property damage. Consider the possibilty that anything over what you have coverage for, comes out of your pocket.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
$100/300 liability: Seriously, if you whack somebody you think $50,000 will cover it?. I work as a defense lawyer for an insurance company. $25,000 is one helivac to an ER, two days in a hospital and nothing left over to cover emergency orthopaedic surgery.
Comprehensive, $500 deductable: It's cheap.
$0 Collision: If I screw up, I'll bear the cost. (And ask Wacky and Orangegilly to rebuild my SV again.)
Uninsured/Underinsured: Same as my own liability limits. Why should I take less care of myself than I do of some stranger I hit? Why should i rely on teh hope that the "other guy" will be as socially responsible as i am?

·
Registered
667 Posts
250/500 on everything. we also have a 1M umbrella policy covering the houses, cars and motorcycle.

I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and the surgeon alone was 30K, Hospital 10K, Physical therapy 30K, MRI 2K, and that didn't include any ER or overnight stuff.

I pay $450/yr to formost for the SV through my Farmers agent.

·
Registered
140 Posts
250/500/100
10,000 medical
3,000 Accessory Coverage
under insured 50,000
500 Deductible

·
Registered
343 Posts
Pay for it and never have to use it = WIN

Property damage + injuries + bike + possibly money for a new bike = WIN

A stack of bills you can't pay because you lost your job do to injuries from the crash = I wish i had more Insurance.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
$100k/$300k Bodily Injury Liability
$50,000 Property Damage Liability
$2,500 person Injury Protection
$50k/$100k Un/Underinsured Bodily Injury
$25k Un/Underinsured Property Damage w/ $250 ded.
Comprehensive $250 ded.
Collision $250 ded.
$3,000 accessory coverage

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
100/300. The extra coverage cost is negligible, and the protection offered is great peace of mind.
Exactly. I don't remember what the exact difference was for me, but I think the bump from 100/300 to 250/500 was like $30/yr and the bump from 50/100 to 100/300 was about the same.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
You can get a 1 million dollar umbrella policy for about $150 a year depending on your circumstances. Best money I've ever spent.
I have 250k/500k on my primary bike policy, then a 1m/5m umbrella, I don't think the umbrella costs me even $100/yr, covers my bike, auto & homeowners

I worry about turning a young hotshot lawyer that has a wife & 2 kids into a vegetable

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
After dealing with Geico, I've formed the opinion that anyone that uses them for insurance coverage is either lazy or stupid.

Interesting. They've been great to me for more than ten years now. If not the absolute lowest price, close enough that their great service makes the extra $10 or $20 a year worth it.

I assure you, I'm neither lazy or stupid.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Been with Geico for a few years. Recently switch to Progressive - they're literally half the cost that Geico was, with better coverage and cheaper deductibles! Never had a problem with Geico, though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I carry liability to protect my family. If I make a mistake and somehow my bike goes into a car windshield (or I hit another biker) and hurts or kills someone, I don't want to lose everything I have.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts