Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much cash would you expect to install an m4 slip on and a targa fender eliminator with signals. Im having a buddys friend do it who knows a lot about bikes, i just dont know what to offer him that is fair. I'd love to do it myself but im in a basement apartment with no tools or space.. I have a 2008 sv650s.
I dont post much on here, so thanks in advanced for the replies... But i do read these threads religiously trying to learn as much as i can...

·
Registered
175 Posts
It depends. Is he looking for money or are you just wanting to pay him? When I do work for friends or friends of a friend, I never look for money. Even if they want to pay, I can't bring myself to accept it. However, if they bring over some quality beer, that's a different thing.

I guess, pay him for what you think is reasonable in your eyes. Hard to put a price tag on something if you are just wanting to hand him money.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm not sure about the price to offer, maybe a case of beer and a pizza? In all honesty though you could do both jobs in about an hour with sawzall/hacksaw, phillips screwdriver, and a 10mm and 12mm (possibly need a 14mm too, can't remember) socket. It can easily be done in a parking space. If you have a friend with some tools I would just ask to borrow those bits and try and do it yourself. It'll be a good learning experience, especially in figuring out how to take off the rear plastics.

EDIT:
However, if they bring over some quality beer, that's a different thing.
See, it's the universal payment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say he's looking for money.. and i am looking to pay him. Wish everyone was like you tho, not willing to accept money... Just basically wondering how many hr's of continuious labor the job is?? i think 80 an hr is reasonable...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about the price to offer, maybe a case of beer and a pizza? In all honesty though you could do both jobs in about an hour with sawzall/hacksaw, phillips screwdriver, and a 10mm and 12mm (possibly need a 14mm too, can't remember) socket. It can easily be done in a parking space. If you have a friend with some tools I would just ask to borrow those bits and try and do it yourself. It'll be a good learning experience, especially in figuring out how to take off the rear plastics.

EDIT:

See, it's the universal payment.
haha.. i deff. would if i knew the guy for more than 3 minutes. I was introduced by a "friend" who i barely know to his co-worker who he knows that works on bikes... all this talk about beer and pizza tho got me thinkin

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I dunno that seems a bit high unless this guy is some licensed mechanic, because it's fairly simple work. Maybe I'm just idealistic. There are a bunch of SV'ers in the New York area, maybe one of them will chime in and give you a hand for free (or for beer).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well i did mention that the bike shop that i went to was asking 150 per part which would be 300 dollars. So hopefully he's not expecting that. And if anyone is from around the area and wants to help out i'd enjoy watching and helpin out if i can. (just re-read that nd it sounded pretty gay) lol.. no ****... Id be willing to give 125 and a 12 pack.. haha

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can't you "sidewalk wrench" this yourself? For the price you are wiling to pay, you can pick up the tools with a lot of change left over. Which shop did you get the quote from? Seems really high.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i went to the suzuki dealership in mineola, L.I.. its the only place around here that does service on bikes that i know of. I would sidewalk it, but like i said before i've never worked on a bike before and id have to cut the exhaust... Some people say to cut it off the bike, some say to take off the whole system then cut it. I just feel like i'd screw something up. I just want it done right, nd im gona kill myself if i have to see these boxes in my appartment for another week...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Get the tools, hacksaw costs like $15.

Prepare the bike before your friend shows. Take off plastics, etc.

When working on the bike, you do the physical labor - hacking the pipe. Provide beer / entertainment.

Offer to pay $60 times time time it's gonna take.

·
Registered
716 Posts
i went to the suzuki dealership in mineola, L.I.. its the only place around here that does service on bikes that i know of. I would sidewalk it, but like i said before i've never worked on a bike before and id have to cut the exhaust... Some people say to cut it off the bike, some say to take off the whole system then cut it. I just feel like i'd screw something up. I just want it done right, nd im gona kill myself if i have to see these boxes in my appartment for another week...
If you want, I can supervise while you work...PM me.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Holy monkey. It's so easy to do it's not even funny. Both items should have come with instructions but if not, I"m sure some local can help you (like spinner above).

Seriously, save the "install money" and kill and hour (tops) of your time.

The tail is basically held on by four screws and the hacksaw makes easy work of the stock pipe.

EDIT: Cut the exhaust on the bike. Take your time and it'll go easy. (otherwise, order new gaskets and take it off... I took the easy path).

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Slip on is easy. An hour is a good estimate with the proper tools.

FE will take more than an hour, it is more like three.

Removing the plastics in the correct order and making sure that everything is kept in straight order on the reassembly process is at least a three hour job. Someone who is highly skilled and has done dozens of these may get it done in an hour and a half. For the average mechanic and average modder, at least 3 hours.

If you are going to pay someone to mod your bike, it is not worth it. You might as well buy a Ducati, because by the time you are done, a Ducati will be much cheaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
thanks alot for all the reply's... I just got back from a mothers day lunch nd came back with like 10 replys. Although last night i checked out some cragslist ads and a guy from around here is willing to do it for anywhere from 150 to 200... Because i would never leave my bike with a craigslist find and i also want to learn some things... i asked if i could stick around and watch nd possibly help out. He didnt seem to mind at all. So we'll c what happens tomorrow.. Thanks again for all the replies and the offers to come through and supervise me doing the work. If i herd that b4 i already spoke to this guy id deffinatley take u up on that... I guess SV-Riders stick together, awsome. hope i learn some sh*t so i could give some1 a hand one day... Thanks again
** Although.... if anyone is around tomorrow or tuesday at around 1pm or 9pm, nd has a spot to work, id be willing to pay 125 nd all the beer u want or 150 for me to come with the bike, mods and stick around and possibly do some of the work. Please pm me asap because if no1 wants the job or has the time im just gona go to this mechanic tomorrow at 1pm.... thanks again, pm or post if your interested.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Slip on is easy. An hour is a good estimate with the proper tools.

FE will take more than an hour, it is more like three.

Removing the plastics in the correct order and making sure that everything is kept in straight order on the reassembly process is at least a three hour job. Someone who is highly skilled and has done dozens of these may get it done in an hour and a half. For the average mechanic and average modder, at least 3 hours.

If you are going to pay someone to mod your bike, it is not worth it. You might as well buy a Ducati, because by the time you are done, a Ducati will be much cheaper.
I think these numbers are way high.

·
Registered
533 Posts
thanks alot for all the reply's... I just got back from a mothers day lunch nd came back with like 10 replys. Although last night i checked out some cragslist ads and a guy from around here is willing to do it for anywhere from 150 to 200... Because i would never leave my bike with a craigslist find and i also want to learn some things... i asked if i could stick around and watch nd possibly help out. He didnt seem to mind at all. So we'll c what happens tomorrow.. Thanks again for all the replies and the offers to come through and supervise me doing the work. If i herd that b4 i already spoke to this guy id deffinatley take u up on that... I guess SV-Riders stick together, awsome. hope i learn some sh*t so i could give some1 a hand one day... Thanks again
** Although.... if anyone is around tomorrow or tuesday at around 1pm or 9pm, nd has a spot to work, id be willing to pay 125 nd all the beer u want or 150 for me to come with the bike, mods and stick around and possibly do some of the work. Please pm me asap because if no1 wants the job or has the time im just gona go to this mechanic tomorrow at 1pm.... thanks again, pm or post if your interested.
I would do it for you for free. but I'm all the way in Mass :(

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Like I said if you want to come into Brooklyn I can work on the bike since I have the tools. I usually just work on the sidewalk since it's wide enough for the bike and people to walk by.

I wouldn't charge you anything, with the amount of free information and stuff I got from this board I feel like I could pay some of my debt back if I helped someone else out :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts