Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you put your SV to sleep for the winter? Put mine in 2 weeks ago. I did the stabil, top off the tank, yanked the batt. and washed and covered it and also tossed a lightly oiled sock in the end of the can. I must be getting old because last year I remember riding in flurries.

Under200

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Ride all winter. I'm in Orlando this winter so that doesn't mean anything. Austin is a different story and I rode that out.

You should delete this thread and restart it as a poll.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
mine's as good as away. maybe this weekend, i'll prep it a bit. this time i'm going to plug the pipe and the snorkle since i found a nest in the airbox this spring.

still need to put on my new plastics and change the oil

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Bike will be put away when I leave for my winter vacation to FL. But its not put away cause of weather, its put away for modding time :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't think the bike will see the storage room this winter. I'm gearing it up for the winter (which is a total of about three weeks in MS) and I'll be riding it through everything but ice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in Toronto, Canada.

So far I'm still riding. Low of 3 degrees celcius today. 3 degrees I say is my limit. I rode much more last year but I am not doing that again. I suspect I have til next week before it gets too cold.

I live in a major city and can get a couple of extra days. I can't ride outside of the city its already too cold.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nada aqui'. Sacramento, CA = 52 / 68 F. Mostly sunny and clear 50% of the time. Lovin my crisp air wake-up commutes and weekend romps.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
enrico vespa said:
Alot of ppl prep their bikes for the winter or of season. Since I'll be working on the bike. Is there any harm if I just turn on the bike and let it run for 10-15 mins once or twice a week?
10-15 minutes probably does more harm than good. At least, if it's just idling. Let it rev up a little bit. THat's just my mildly educated opinion. I'm curious what others have to say.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
enrico vespa said:
Alot of ppl prep their bikes for the winter or of season. Since I'll be working on the bike. Is there any harm if I just turn on the bike and let it run for 10-15 mins once or twice a week?
I do the same....... My garage only gets down to 35 degrees..... no matter how cold it is outside. If I head down there to work on the GTO........ I will back the bike up to the garage opening, let it run for awhile.... rev it up every once in awhile to blow any moisture out the exhaust...... done.
I still added the Stabil and filled the tank.

The GTO gets the same treatment....... never had a problem yet.

IMHO winterizing is more for machines that will subjected to sub-freezing temps and the elements for an extended period of time.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Will be moving mine into the basement of the house this weekend - want to have it inside to work on it over winter, its too cold in the garage. not done the stabil or anything yet, but I may as well as I will not ride again now til Spring.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I enjoy riding too much to ever store the bike. Cold can be dealt with. It might be idle for a week or two at a time depending on how much snow we get, but I'll have it out as soon as there is no danger of ice/snow on the road.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
mines away but last week made me wish it wasn't

1 - 20 of 68 Posts