Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting concept when applied to the human body. Are you still you!!!?

Atomic Tune-Up: How the Body Rejuvenates Itself
If our atoms are being replaced every day, why do we age? In a study published in the Annual Report for Smithsonian Institution in 1953, scientists found that 98 percent of our atoms are replaced each year. Atoms make up molecules, which make up cells, which make up tissues, which make up organs.Jul 14, 2007
A fascinating couple of articles. Good old PBS. When we lived in Va it was one of our favourite channels, and Car Talk was certainly the best radio show. We get PBS here in England now (as one of the hundred or so free to air stations) and occasionally I find myself watching it.

Here in the UK we have the BBC, and some make the mistake of equating PBS with the BBC as similar entities. The difference is stark though, the BBC has grown into a corpulent behemoth on the revenue on the absurd tax it changes the Queen’s subjects, regardless of whether they use its services or not.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,121 Posts
Hi Alan,
I know nothing of BBC tax charges but do regularly read BBC.com to get a different perspective on the world.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Alan,
I know nothing of BBC tax charges but do regularly read BBC.com to get a different perspective on the world.
Good morn,

I recall from my time living in Va that US news reporting is rather parochial, even the Washington Post (to which I subscribed in those days - paper version) didn’t report much outside of the USA and American interests.

News reporting here in the UK is rather more cosmopolitan, we are a smaller nation with less home news and we have a long history of interests all around the worlds from the legacy of the British Empire.

The BBC has traditionally been seen as a good source of news:wide ranging in its interests and even handed in its reporting, but in the past 20 years many of us Brits have come to see it as having a (left wing) bias and being just too politically correct - both of which are out of kilter with the views of the man in the street.

You may we’ll find the BBC gives a broader view that most American sources (and perhaps that would not be so difficult to achieve), but here in England most people take advantage of many other news outlets because we trust the BBC to be unbiased less than we used to 20 years ago.

The issue of funding for the BBC is just an internal one to us Brits. It is able (as a result of its charter from the government) to charge anyone with a TV set about £150/year (around $200) whether they choose to watch it or not, and (this is the real issue) is allowed to use the criminal (magistrates) courts rather than the civil (county) courts to prosecute anyone that doesn’t pay. No one else (except the government itself) has the ability to do that. It is the view of many of us that the BBC has used the incredibly favourable business model the nation has granted it to feather its own nest (the salaries it pays itself are astronomical compared with the average person that has to pay for it).

It is not as simple as it seems though, because the BBC does provide many services that are a huge benefit to the nation internally (public information, local radio, weather ...) and externally (BBC World Service, internet services ...). Most of these are really cheap compared with the soaps, game shows and dramas the BBC also produces, but because they are paid for out of the same pot the corporation claims it would have to cut these rather than the flashy bits it likes making (but can be made just as well by the commercial stations at no direct cost to the consumer whatsoever).

So, that is a potted history of the issues us Brits have with out established media provider; there is no reason why it should concern non-Brits, but it is something we need to reconcile internally.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 44 of 44 Posts