Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An SV really should have been my first motorcycle. Suffice it to say, the brand new '99 Buell Cyclone I bought instead was not the best choice.

In other words, I've wanted an SV650 for over a decade.

At the end of last month, I was offered a '99 with 34k miles in trade for a MacBook Air (which I had been given by my work as a holiday bonus.)

So, albeit indirectly, my employer gave me an SV650 for Christmas this year.

It's in surprisingly good shape for it's age and mileage, and it's been nicely set up with a Fox rear shock, cartridge emulators up front, a Sargent saddle, a Remus pipe and a rejet. New Dunlop SportMax RoadSmarts on both ends, and fresh brake pads.

I've gone ahead and fitted a headlight modulator, aftermarket mirrors, and a Scottoiler. Today I'm taking it in to have the suspension set up. Next week is an R6 throttle tube, oil change, and new air filter. Then I'm taking in to be detailed, followed by a coolant flush and having the valves checked.

Already visions of custom paint are dancing in my head. (I need to stop looking at the SV of the Month!)

My question is, am I being a bit ridiculous about this? Is a Gen1 with 35,000 miles near the end of it's useful life, midlife, or just getting started?

I don't want to dump a ton of money into it if it's going to give up the ghost at 50k, but if it might last to 80k I certainly don't mind investing in it.

How many miles are on your SV? How long have you heard of them lasting?

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
If it's been maintained decently, it's barely broken-in.

Plenty of members have SVs with a lot more miles than that. Last count, that I saw, from RandyO was 130,000 I believe.

He'll chime in shortly to correct me if I'm wrong...

Jay

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Conventional wisdom is that a routinely maintained SV will get 85,000+ miles between rebuilds. At which point you replace the rings, freshen up the valves, and start over.

Ride it and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
At 30k it should have had the second valve inspection. Ask the previous owner if that was done.

Mind, I only said inspection. May not need any adjustments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent, thanks much for the feedback everyone. Previous owner bought the bike at right around 30k himself and can't remember if the valves were checked. I'll just go ahead and have it done to be sure.

Sounds like there's a lot of life left in this one! I'll go ahead and invest in keeping her nice.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
If you change the fluids periodically, check the valves, change your spark plugs, and treat it right, it will last a very long time... maybe around 100.000+ miles but chances are that you won't get to 100k miles, you might change bike, try something new, etc...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Like anything, if you take good care of it, it will last. I used to worry about anything over 20k until I saw the miles some of the people here had on their bikes. I only have 7k though so I have a long way to go hopefully.

·
Registered
63 Posts
V-Twin... For the Win.

Take it to a local shop, have them strip it down, check it out. If they give you the green light your good for another 30k with a SV

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
V-Twin... For the Win.

Take it to a local shop, have them strip it down, check it out. If they give you the green light your good for another 30k with a SV
And hand them a blank check...

That's not the SV-rider way!

That's the BMW/Ducati/HD/expensive-bike way!

SV riders take things into their own (dirty) hands, fix their own problems, and don't need a "green light" from any cycle shop to go another 30K.

Don't take this personally, I just needed to clear that up...

Jay

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I only got about 3/4 of a mile riding a 12 o'clock wheelie before my engine assploded.

j/k :evil6: Good luck, and um, how about some pictures?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts