does it take to do a whole naked sv?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've rattle-canned the Honda at least ten times. "Granite" look, reverse fades, stoned with a friend and a variety of Testors, a botched go with glitter over spray-adhesive. The SV will get bedliner next year; the blue is starting to chip.
A throwaway job is two cans of primer and two of color. Be prudent and get 3 and 4. (Actually, 3 and 5, just to be safe. Sometimes colors go out of stock). A good job takes a few days. Undercoats need to dry and be sanded. Get sandpaper in 400, 800, and 1500 grit. Probably will need a couple cans of clear-coat as well. Are you using the 88 cent stuff or really trying to do a good job? You can flat-black over the existing paint for five bucks or do something decent for about $40-50.
Time is the factor with a spraypaint job. Disassemble the parts and stage them at a height where you can hit all angles equally. Enclosed area if possible unless you want pollen and bugs to accent your work. Don't rush unless you're going for some sort of crap-chic paint job.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty much i'm going for atleast stock quality paint job. prefferably better. usuing colorrite paint.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I'm doing what is going to end up being a great looking rattle can paint job. I'm putting down several coats of paint. Most of this is because it's taking several coats to fix my mistakes. I figure three cans of Duplicolor's T282 Deep Jewel Green if there were no mistakes; I'll end up using five.

Two cans of sandable primer; one can of primer sealer.

Two cans of clear coat with no mistakes; I'll use a total of three.

You can follow my progress here:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=93619

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
pretty much i'm going for atleast stock quality paint job. prefferably better. usuing colorrite paint.
That's going to be tough to do with rattle cans. I'm going to recommend a HPLV and a dual stage paint, but a "better than stock" finish it very doable. It's been done, but you got to spend hours on end sanding and buffing and sanding and buffing and sanding and.... you get the idear.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
That's going to be tough to do with rattle cans. I'm going to recommend a HPLV and a dual stage paint, but a "better than stock" finish it very doable. It's been done, but you got to spend hours on end sanding and buffing and sanding and buffing and sanding and.... you get the idear.

+ elleventy billion. Be prepared to sand, spray, sand, spray, sand, buff, curse, sand, spray, repeat, ad naseum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i am currently engaged in a project much like jbswears, i decided to go red, and for that i used 5 cans of color. the red comes out transparent and it is hard to get good coverage.

just be sure to keep the color in mind when purchasing paint because some offer better coverage than others.

o and as stated before, be ready to sand a lot. at least one and a half hours per coat, such a pain in the a$$

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
how much experience do you have?

you could probably pay a pro to paint it for less $400 if you disassemble and sand the parts for him. And that would get you a stock quality job. (not to mention save you a bunch of headaches.)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much experience do you have?

you could probably pay a pro to paint it for less $400 if you disassemble and sand the parts for him. And that would get you a stock quality job. (not to mention save you a bunch of headaches.)
yeah i'm really starting to contemplate this. i don't want it to look like ****. and i don't think i have the time or patients to do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,933 Posts
Colorrite is expensive for what it is. You'd go broke doing it with their cans.

There is a member here, can't remember exactly who, that does custom painting. You may be able to find him by doing a search on "custom paint" or similar. He often does stripes over the tank and tail.

He does very nice work. Don't know anything about price, but it may be worth it if you want a top-notch job.

Jay

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Don't use Colorrite clear coat in a spray can, it's crap. It's not corrosion resistant either, so drops from gasoline will start to eat at it.

Beware mixing paint brands, they may be chemically incompatible and react badly.

If you've no patience, don't attempt this yourself at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts