Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellas! So I'm just wondering how low you guys are gettin on your turns. I'm rockin a 170/60 Michelin 2CT and feel like I'm getting pretty close to the ground but it looks like my tire wear is only getting to just under an inch from the side wall of my rear tire. My buddy with a Z1000 is getting right up on his side wall but then again, his tire is almost flat in comparison to mine. Anyway here's some pics of where I'm at. Feel free to post yours / let me know how big of a ninny I am and whatnot....

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'm down to about 3/8" and got an unprotected knee down, it hurt....bad.

Running the chicken strips off the tire does'nt exactly mean your freind is doing a whole lot more than your doing, you can wear them off doing circles at 20mph. Body position has more to do with getting around a curve fast than how much of your tire your using, or whether or not your dragging a knee, those are just by products, not methods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No strip on my right side, but I think my knee touches down with about 3/8 - 1/4" left. still have a good 1/2" on left side.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am down to my directional arrows on my Road Attacks. Left side is just a touch further down and more worn in. I have only had the tires on since last fall and haven't put many aggressive twistie riding miles on.

Since I try to ride my own ride... It is good enough for me at this time.

Stock tire size, no track days and mostly N.E. Ohio riding.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Low enough for my comfort level.

Which, by the looks of it, is all the Dunlops can give me anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I got kinda low, well, lower than I usually turn, and the back tire slid out a little bit. It felt like it slid about 1" out, but then it re-gripped and made the whole bike jerk and stand up a little bit.

This is why I haven't leaned that far anymore.... and i still have almost 2" chicken strips :( I can't get rid of them!

How do I make it not slide out? This is a pretty new Qualifier.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got kinda low, well, lower than I usually turn, and the back tire slid out a little bit. It felt like it slid about 1" out, but then it re-gripped and made the whole bike jerk and stand up a little bit.

This is why I haven't leaned that far anymore.... and i still have almost 2" chicken strips :( I can't get rid of them!

Ride smoother

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

Warm it up?

·
Registered
375 Posts

Last season I was getting quite low. A friend of mine following me said he was shocked how well the SV would stick, in fact, I never made an attempt, all last season, to even shift my weight inwards slightly.

This year, after purchasing leathers, and studying Keith Code and Lee Parks' books, I have learned to "hang off". As such, my lean angles are back to being quite "unimpressive". My cornering speeds have improved dramatically though.

I can't wait to try out my new Pilo Power 2CT's this weekend!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm a new rider, and therefore, kinda chickenshit. We'll see how I am by the end of the summer- I'm in no rush to crash due to inexperience (and two year old stock tires...).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm not going to embarass myself by posting photographic evidence of my suckitude... I have more chicken strip than scrub on mine. But I'm a newbie with no ideas to ever get on the track.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
I'm not going to embarass myself by posting photographic evidence of my suckitude... I have more chicken strip than scrub on mine. But I'm a newbie with no ideas to ever get on the track.
The track can sometimes teach you more than you ever thought.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Tire profile can have a lot to do with your chicken strip. Don't get discouraged if you have unused tire. First of all, riding to the very limit on the street is insane.

I have a Michelin Pilot Road 2 160/70 rear tire, friend has a Metzeller Roadtec Z6 160/70 rear tire. Even though both are 160/70, his Metzeller has a narrower profile. At the same lean angle, more of his tire is going to be used. Case in point: he and I both went on a spirited ride through NW Arkansas. Our body position was nearly identical, as were our lean angles and corner speed. I have about 3/4" 'chicken strip' left, he has about 1/4".

1 - 20 of 93 Posts