Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions...How long does or can your bike go without starting it.

I have not started my bike in 1 1/2 weeks. Need to soon.

peace...murfy

·
Registered
984 Posts
You mean without winter-izing? My bike sits in the garage, longest period of time this winter was 6 weeks I think. Fired right up.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
W/O winterizing, probably 6-8 weeks with no issues. Any longer & you'll want to use fuel stabilizer in the gas to keep it from going 'stale'.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The fuel is important but you don't want to forget the battery. I had mine sitting in the bike without riding it for about a week or so, went on a ~30 mile ride, and took the battery out and put it on the tender (bad weather was coming.) I figured with the ride it would charge the battery back up or at least get it close. It took a couple hours on the tender to get it charged. If you leave the bike idle for more than a week or two, put the battery on the tender.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I've let mine sit for 3 mos and it started right up.
However I rode it after I started it, not just "starting" it for the sake of making sure it starts.
a week and a half shouldnt be a problem, but if you're going to start it then you might as well ride it. Otherwise, I wouldnt bother. just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Since I live in New Mexico, where we have abundant good weather and a virtually year round riding season (if you have the right gear), I don't think my bike has sat longer then 5 days since I bought it last summer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll let mine go two to three weeks sometimes but never go over three without riding it 20-25 miles. Denver weather can also determine when I ride so I have to pick and choose.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
2 weeks while I was in Europe last summer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I leave mine running in the garage at all times and have it rigged to provide power to a small fridge that holds a six pack of beer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the bike does sit for 5 mo without starting, what would be the recommended proceduces to get it back on the road.

I can't imagine that after 5 mo without starting, one would take it straight to the race track and race it as is, so what would be the right thing to do:

1. Charge the batt
2. Put fresh gas on the tank
3. I would also add a little bit of sea foam to the first fresh batch of gas

What else can be done to have a good and smooth introduction to the road...

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I once left the bike with fresh oil, filled to the brim with premium and it sat for 7 months....fired up like a champ after the 8th try.;D

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Change the oil and filter, gravity bleed the brakes until you've got clean fluid coming out of the calipers, lift the tank and check for critters in the air filter (no, that's not a joke).

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Opinions...How long does or can your bike go without starting it.

I have not started my bike in 1 1/2 weeks. Need to soon.

peace...murfy
Change the oil and filter, gravity bleed the brakes until you've got clean fluid coming out of the calipers, lift the tank and check for critters in the air filter (no, that's not a joke).
surely you're not responding to the OP andy. ??? ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the longest I have gone without filling up a tank of gas is 3 weeks in dead of winter, I try to for a 100 mile ride at least once a week every week of the year, I have missed very few, and I have missed 2 in a row, a couple of times

with very few exceptions (testing farkle installation,tuning, etc) my bikes don't get started unless they are going to be ridden, when they are parked long term, a battery tender is connected, my daily rider gets connected to a battery tender when parked if morning temps are below freezing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts