Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey... just wondering how long(how many miles) the brakes last? i just turnes 5k on my bike, prolly have another 5k on b4 winter. should i do brakes in winter? or do they last longer?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Depends on your riding style...for normal riding...you should be quite fine.

Doesn't hurt to bleed your brakes once-a-year though. Just don't do what I did and jump into bleeding your brakes with no idea what you're doing.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I slow almost exclusively use engine braking to slow.
If you ride your SV using it's engine braking, your brakes should last much longer than comparable I4's.
City versus highway riding greatly effects it as well.
I've put over 10k miles in 11 months and my brakes are doing great.

Josh

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got almost 12k on my first gen. I had to replace the rear pads about 2k agao. But, the front pads still have about 5K left.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stoppies help to extend your brake life.

Why does it matter? look at them, if they are low replace them. It depends on how you ride.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
depends on how long you use your brakes.

S

·
0 Posts
I try not to brake hard and I have about 17000 miles and a little pad left and I have used only the fronts after about 3000 miles when I broke off the rear pedal. My chain is also worn out real bad and its missing some o rings too. You can see the pads condition easily by bending down and looking at them.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
svslider said:
I try not to brake hard and I have about 17000 miles and a little pad left and I have used only the fronts after about 3000 miles when I broke off the rear pedal. My chain is also worn out real bad and its missing some o rings too. You can see the pads condition easily by bending down and looking at them.
\

so much for maintaining your motorcycle... :roll:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I got almost 30K out of my front pads. It really does depend on the rider. I'm thinking the EBC HH's will be shot after 15K as I use/trust them more. A little under 8 for the OEM rear pads, but the replacement rears look great after 29K.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Almost 17000 miles and front pads look good for at least another 7000 miles,rear pads were changed at 12000 miles.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
a lot of peeps report original rear pads not lasting long, my first rears were toast @ 16k

I get 40k+ from front and about 30k from rear on average. I rely heavily on engine braking, and ride a lot of limited traction situations, so my rear prolly gets used more than front for one reason or another

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got almost 30K out of my front pads. It really does depend on the rider. I'm thinking the EBC HH's will be shot after 15K as I use/trust them more. A little under 8 for the OEM rear pads, but the replacement rears look great after 29K.
I use the HH kit they are very good pads and work great just keep in mind that the sv does warp pads very badly if you do track days or race the thing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
holy old thread !
Ok, now of all of you that originally posted in this thread...how many of you have had to change brake pads, and how many times...since you first posted in this thread that is. :D

Somebody signed up for the 3 year old SVRider membership. Somebody should update his software. :p

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I engine brake and down shift most the time and had almost 30K on the OE (front) brake pads with 40% pad life before I upgraded to the GSX-R radial brakes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts