Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

how long before your first drop with damage?

• 1-30 days

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • 31-60 days

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • 61-90 days

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • 90-180 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180 days - 1 year

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • 1 year - 2 years

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • 2 years+

Votes: 13 23.2%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I've been riding for almost 50 years. That said, I've crashed plenty. My first bike was a Honda CB160. Never dropped it in all the years I owned it. In 1971 I bought a brand-new Honda CB500-4. I crashed that bike plenty of times (usually trashing the exhaust system). Then I bought a new RD350 Yamaha. Crashed it riding home from the dealer (two stroke power was new to me), wrecking the front turn signals and scraping up the front fender. I bought a new SV in 2000- never dropped it. Great bike, and I wanted another, so I bought again in 2003 (loved the FI). Now I'm riding a 2003 SV- not the first 03, but a replacemnet. Crashed it going across Texas and busted the clutch lever and dented the tank. Then I dropped it twice in the same day, no damage. As they say, there are only two kinds of riders- those who've gone down, and those that are going to. I don't think it has anything to do with whether you're a newb or not. **** happens.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Day two. Throttle stuck, no clutch control. Took off into the woods, fishtailed around and high sided back into the street. Bent the shifter pedal and the handlebars. 1980 XS400 that I bought for $300. It's still running for the next guy.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I dunno...I started riding when I was eight, twenty eight years ago. I rarely "dropped" the bikes, but those damnably pesky trees kept jumping out in front of me with no warning.

I bought my first street bike at...16? 17? I forget which. Three months and 8k miles later it was destroyed when a person crossed the highway in front of me and I collided with the rear quarter panel.

I bought a new bike a year later and then a year after that, again collided with a rear quarter panel when a car took a left turn in front of me at a light. $3k in damages.

I "dropped" the same bike two years later when I came to a stop over a depression in the ground and simply fell over. No damage.

About six years ago I "dropped" the SV when I hit gravel in a slow speed turn. No damage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Almost 2 years in and no damage yet aside from a scuff on the frame slider. I have only dropped the bike accidentally twice, both while practically stopped. Once in the garage when I was moving it(A month of so in) and once in front of the post office backing out of a oily parking spot(a few months ago). Both times very slow and set down gently. So far no off involving another vehicle or other shenanigans *knock on wood*

·
Registered
247 Posts
About 5 months, racing my friend on a closed parking lot/road course thing. I got ahead, took a sharp corner and panic braked. Bike hit a curb threw me off and landed in the grass. The only damage surprisingly is a few small scratches on the front fender, fork tube, and a slightly bent radiator. The frame slider grabbed the dirt and stopped the bike right away, so it was half in the street and half on the curb/grass. A few yellow marks on the tires as well. The bar end mirror even made it through. I haven't raced since.

·
Registered
391 Posts
First time i got gas LOLOLOL. Had a beat up zx6r i was learning on, car pulled out in front of me in the gas station parking lot. Too much front brake with a slightly turned handle bar and down i went....... Sad part was it took me awhile to figure out i couldnt lift the bike while still holding the front brake with a death grip. I held the bike halfway down for a few minutes with my legs until they gave out. Almost quit riding that day :rock:

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
I've had my current SV for 1 year and 2 months. No drops yet! I almost get hit on a weekly basis (often multiple times per week), so I can't keep this up forever!
something is very wrong with the way you are riding. I have maybe one close call a year and average 10k miles or so. Please figure out what you're doing to have all these "almost get hit" and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I never dropped my Ninja 250, not even a slight lay over. I dropped the SV once early on really uneven ground, but no damage. It was a full two years after getting my first bike that I finally went down. I lowsided on ice in 2011 after around 8k miles on my Ninja and at least another 8k on my SV. My saddlebags and frame sliders saved it from a lot of damage and I rode it for the rest of the day, but I still consider that my first drop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my SV for about 3 weeks and it went down for the first time today. I was leaving my driveway, which is quite steep, and someone came flying around the corner in my resedential neighborhood. I didn't panic, applied the brake smoothly and, like I'd been taught, I went to put my left foot down first. Problem was that my left foot was on the downhill side, and by the time it touched the ground my bike was already steeply angled and had a good bit of momentum towards the ground. I did my best to slow down the fall, but I'm sad to say my front left turn signal didn't survive. No other damage. So I guess "noobs" do sometimes(always?) drop their bikes.

Maybe a good excuse to get myself some zero-11s...

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I dunno...I started riding when I was eight, twenty eight years ago. I rarely "dropped" the bikes, but those damnably pesky trees kept jumping out in front of me with no warning.
Pretty much the same story here. That and swingsets!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've gone down on various dirt bikes plenty of times at the track but that doesn't count. Knock on wood I've never put one down on cement before. I put my DR650 motard down on slick muddy grass trying to get out of a wet field after a rain. I tried to keep tight to the bike and let her slide but it just went out from under me. Scuffed the plastics a bit but that was it. I left the kick stand down on the ninja 250 one time trying to roll it onto the lift and the momentum and high center dropped it over on its side. No damage then either. Oh yeah, I also dumped my ex's aprilia SXV motard on the grass when I realized I was going the wrong way and my dumbass brain grabbed a handful of front brake and turned. I was at walking speed without any gear. First time I've ever had my shoes fly off on impact. That was a hilarious crash. Again, no damage other than to my ego since I did it in front of about 5 of my friends.

I'm starting track riding this Sunday and I imagine I'll eventually lay one down doing that if I keep it up. My luck can only last so long...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ten minutes into my first ride I low-sided. I was going too hot into a corner, got too much on the gas and then grabbed the front brake while leaned & down I went. I lost the shifter and grated down the left slider.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts