Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering with in reason how much weight can come off an SV.

I'll be building my son a Race bike this winter and would love to get it as light as possible for him. He's very small and the lighter the easier it will be for him to ride.

Tips, tricks, and parts involved would be great. It has to be Supersport legal though, if that makes a difference. Either way I'd love to hear all the tricks.

Thanks, Anthony

·
Registered
5,702 Posts

I'll be building my son a Race bike this winter and would love to get it as light as possible for him. He's very small and the lighter the easier it will be for him to ride.

Tips, tricks, and parts involved would be great. It has to be Supersport legal though, if that makes a difference. Either way I'd love to hear all the tricks.

Thanks, Anthony

There is a LOT of extra wiring that could disappear as well as the gauges and lighting. The PAIR system, secondary throttle plates & actuators, charging system, and radiator fan could all go as well.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Most effective things you can do is swap out the wheels for aftermarket ones, change out the subframe for a lightweight one and get a lightweight battery. After that you can make a race wire harness and go from there but you are approaching diminishing returns.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe Ed Key got one of his sub 300lbs wet. Also, SS legal is a relative term to racing org.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Most effective things you can do is swap out the wheels for aftermarket ones, change out the subframe for a lightweight one and get a lightweight battery. After that you can make a race wire harness and go from there but you are approaching diminishing returns.
This. I managed to get a 1st gen down to 369 pounds wet with minimal effort. Biggest gains were in the swingarm and wheels.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
That said - effort vs. gain is not 100% there... Realistically a GSXR rear wheel swap is a better way to get most of the gain

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
The way I calculated it out and had the shock done is was VERY close. But again, swapping wheels is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ed Key's "SS" bike might weigh 300 lbs lol

If you aren't racing CCS tho there isn't a whole lot you can do outside of sparsing hte wiring harness, lose the radiator fan, lightweight battery in most orgs

My CCS LW SS bike is most definitely a superbike anywhere else

All that said light doesn't make the bike easier to ride, handling improvements and adjustable controls do - run thru the suspension first and let him try it before you blow metric dollars on making it lighter

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not sure where I saw it but there is someone that made an aluminum underseat gas tank. Not sure how much weight you will save but the handling should be greatly improved getting all that weight down low. Biggest gain will be getting aftermarket wheels of course. Like they all mentioned before weight is expensive once you get the easy big stuff off. Decent aftemarket used wheels can still cost you at least $2000 and for that price might as well buy new. I'm sure there is someone out there who is selling a used set.

I would just start with suspension and let him loose on that thing and get him to the point where he is very comfortable on it and his riding ability is above the machinery. Then get him better parts for the places where he could see the more improvements. That way your spending money of stuff he needs and not on stuff that will not make a difference because he doesn't know the differences. The feeling from stock heavy wheels to lighter aftermarket wheels will be one of the biggest feeling changers and hopefully he will be at a level where he will be able to take advantage of those changes.

One of the biggest changes I made to my bike was the rear wheel. I swapped from stock to the Gsxr wheel to get the 180 on there and the difference was great. I always thought that the bike was so twitchy into corners and i'm sure it was self induced but the swap made the bike solid into and through corners. Now I just throw the bike into corners with reckless abandonment. Its great. But this change will probably make the bike not legal in most Orgs, only for superbike.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
That said - effort vs. gain is not 100% there... Realistically a GSXR rear wheel swap is a better way to get most of the gain
nah, gsxr rear wheel swap in the end isnt any lighter then stock set up.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
how much money ya wanna spend?

iirc, a few years ago, someone outlined what it took to get sub 300 (maybe it was Ed Key, don't remember)

everything from eekspensive wheels and CF tank to eeekspensive fasteners that only saved grams

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
1st gen or 2nd gen?

My CCS LWSS legal 2nd gen weighs around 355 with enough fuel for a sprint. I did a few things to shed unnecessary weight but not a whole lot more than what most people do already to a track only bike.

Lightweight battery certainly helped.
And I chopped a few lbs from my subframe.
Full exhaust will help, too.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
nah, gsxr rear wheel swap in the end isnt any lighter then stock set up.
The newer wheels are lighter. I will do a little measuring on this once I start the project

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
You have to add weight of 180 tire.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts