Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since right turns are my weakness, like 90% of people. I have decided to take drastic measures to improve my skill level. I found a newly paved section of on and off ramps and hit them for about 30 minutes a day. They're really nice, one is a very tight decreasing radius turn. In all there are four ramps two on and two off. And i already see a marked improvement. My entry speed and more importantly my throttle control through the turns has improved greatly. Does anyone else out there do this? It's relatively safe since it's a pretty low traffic area at the right times.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.793084,-74.427513&spn=0.009632,0.013393&t=k&hl=en

That's the spot.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'll do a lap occasionally if I am riding by one but I don't make multiple trips. Cops tend to frown on it and staying around too long increase the chance of getting caught.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sunday and saturday mornings it's nice and quiet. plus it's on my way up to 287. I can literally go about 45 minutes without having a car in front of me.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
gonzo221 said:
sunday and saturday mornings it's nice and quiet. plus it's on my way up to 287. I can literally go about 45 minutes without having a car in front of me.
How early on Sundays....... maybe I will try it

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
67GTONUT said:
gonzo221 said:
How early on Sundays....... maybe I will try it
i'll meet you troy. we can have a right turn training session. and if it's really quiet car-wise, a left turn training session :p

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Think we will get any attention........ 3 of us flying around that cloverleaf, over and over again.........nah.......... :roll:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's no spot for cops to camp in that area. I've done it a few times now. It's between 7 and 8 am. I've gone back at 6 pm as well and it's wasn't busy at all. My goal is to have an average speed of about 60 mph through the rights. as it is now my average seems to be about 50 mph. If i can get it up to 60 I'll call it mission accomplished and stop.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been looking everywhere forthe same kind of place with lefts but i haven't found anything yet. But left hands are decidely easier then rights.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
gonzo221 said:
I've been looking everywhere forthe same kind of place with lefts but i haven't found anything yet. But left hands are decidely easier then rights.
not for me. my lefts are my handicap. so lets ride 2 up. we'll stop and let you drive for the lefts and i'll drive for the rights.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
stranger said:
gonzo221 said:
not for me. my lefts are my handicap. so lets ride 2 up. we'll stop and let you drive for the lefts and i'll drive for the rights.
I will bring my camara for that

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
67GTONUT said:
stranger said:
gonzo221 said:
I will bring my camara for that
i'll wear a thong so it shows when i'm riding bitch

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you taken those turns as well? Those ramps are pristine man. not a single imperfection to be found, I love it.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
glad i found this post.....im not riding to jersey to do the ramps - BUT - can I hijack and ask - Why are right turns more difficult for most??

·
Registered
247 Posts
"Joisy International Raceway"

swills650 said:
glad i found this post.....im not riding to jersey to do the ramps - BUT - can I hijack and ask - Why are right turns more difficult for most??
Mmm...that's interesting. I have no issue at all laying it into a right hander, just flow's for me. Left hander's however have become a [email protected]#$ since my highside a year ago. I've found I keep shutting the throttle off when I should be on a positive throttle, not looking thru the turn...ie- all the noob mistakes. I am doing some serious retraining to get my head back to believing in my tire's and my prior good throttle control again.

So, that said, I'll be heading over the PA state line this weekend and I'll run your route in reverse!!! ;) :thumbsup: Nexus242

Haha...just clicked the squid smilie and the code show's Nexus242, sure it's old new's by now, but it made me smile. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
swills650 said:
My guess would be they are tighter than lefts. Also you can see through the turn better on a left, as there is the other lane to look through rather than maybe woods.

These are just guesses.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have no issues with right hand turns ...

Left hand turns and trying to make a late apex on them
really freaks me out. I almost had my head taken off by
a pickup truck at the Dragon last year and Killboy caught
it in a picture.

My wheels were on the right side of the double yellow but my
bike and body were in the other lane.

One of the things I want to focus on in the Total Control workshop
they are giving on the week before the rally.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Gonzo so help me if you dont change your avatar Im gonna make non specific idle threats in your general direction.

Left handers get me to, gettin better but its like they say. Once somethin bites ya it takes a while to get back to where you were.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts