Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a GSXR1K rectifier on the bike since the stocker burned up, or whatever it did. Anyways, how hot should these damn things get? It was too hot to touch after my ride into work. The thing is twice the size of the SV's and I had to put it in the trunk space mounted to the seat latch plate of the subframe. I drilled and tapped a hole and installed it in there. Plenty of breathing room, but it does get pretty hot. Not sure if it's as hot as the engine, but pretty damn close if I had to guess. Ideas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah they get really hot.

The fins on there are to help it disapate the heat.

I wouldnt worry about it unless you just want to try and figure a way to get some fresh air into there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Easy way to get some cooling onto the rectifiers is by fitting a cooling fan from a PC onto it. Just get hold of one of the appropriate voltage, tap into a power lead and you're laughing. Should be able to find something in an electronics store.

·
Registered
653 Posts
.....or run a small tube to feed it cool air for $.10 and no power cost. or try relocating it to an open air position like cruisers. They do get to hot to touch, especially during the summer months.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's fine as long as you're moving and youve got some cool air to feed it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
get it out of the trunk, needs to be in open air to cool correctly. Suzuki has had problems before with reg/rec's burning up. in 83 on the Gs 550's then in 84 it was mounted in a new spot still had problems then in 85 they mounted it on the sub frame rail out in the wind, fixed the problem. I guess a little fan would also work.  I use my trunk space too much to mount something hot in there. Good luck---jd ::)

·
Registered
235 Posts
You'd think by now with all the makes having Reg/Rect problems at one time or another that they'd test to see where they can and can't be mounted. The tail probably isn't the ideal spot but seems to work for so many bikes. How many posts have we had about R/R failures? Very few - it is not a problem with the SV. If it had to be in the wind then all mfs would mount 'em up behind the forks like a Harley.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
With the R/R on a Buick Roadmaster ignition module heatsink mine doesn't ever get more than warm.

Here's a pic of it mounted up to my custom (aluminum) fender. You can see it on the left, the heatsink is underneath, between the R/R and the fender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts