Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to make my superstock tail fit, I need to relocate my voltage regulator/rectifier. How hot do these get during normal operation? I am asking the question, because the easiest place for me to relocate it to is above the under tail like so:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Stock SV regulators get pretty hot. If you swap with a mosfet unit like the ones in late model CBRs or F1s, then they do not run too hot. Is your bike a 1st gen? If so, how old is that R/R? Have you checked your output voltage? They are usually toast after 10,000 miles.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
they get pretty warm to the touch.
I cant imagine that the location you have now is going to get any less airflow than where it was mounted before so I dont think I'd worry about it, although if you're choosing a place to put it- somewhere with MORE airflow should be strongly considered, given the history of the stock R/R's tendency to crap out.
I have my R/R mounted in the same area, although mine is a larger unit from a GSXR.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock SV regulators get pretty hot. If you swap with a mosfet unit like the ones in late model CBRs or F1s, then they do not run too hot. Is your bike a 1st gen? If so, how old is that R/R? Have you checked your output voltage? They are usually toast after 10,000 miles.
It is a stock gen 1. It is original to the bike so far as I know. Mileage is somewhere around 15-20k. Given what you said, I might want to get a spare.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they get pretty warm to the touch.
I cant imagine that the location you have now is going to get any less airflow than where it was mounted before so I dont think I'd worry about it, although if you're choosing a place to put it- somewhere with MORE airflow should be strongly considered, given the history of the stock R/R's tendency to crap out.
I have my R/R mounted in the same area, although mine is a larger unit from a GSXR.
OK. I might just get a spare and let it eat. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You could try to find some heat transfer paste from an electrical/electronics supply store. The kind they put between power transistors and heat sinks. That way a lot of heat would be transferred to the aluminum plate. Should help a good bit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It is a stock gen 1. It is original to the bike so far as I know. Mileage is somewhere around 15-20k. Given what you said, I might want to get a spare.
You should check it with a voltmeter. They go bad slowly and then they finally crap out, often taking out the battery and/or other parts of the electrical system.

Should be 13.5-14.5 volts at all RPMs. Typically, when they start to go, the voltage is fine at idle, but it drops at higher RPM (like down to 12.5).

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
as andy said, find a heat sink AND a CPU fan to cool it down, heat is what makes em go bad, relocate where is can get cooling air

1 - 9 of 9 Posts