Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to change the grips. how hard are they to come off? It may lead to changing the crome handlebar to a matteblack one. since i have zero experience removing stock grips or any grips for that matter, maybe here i can get some insight on how exactly both come off.

·
Registered
828 Posts
yup, well i personally use scissors. what are you going to do with the old ones anyways? throw them in the trash after the sit in a box for years? it only costs $15 for another set, so meh.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If they aren't glued on, stick tip of air compressor under the end of the grip. It should come off pretty easily.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
If they aren't glued on, stick tip of air compressor under the end of the grip. It should come off pretty easily.
This worked well for me. Although, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the stock grips...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I found it pretty easy to use a small screwdriver and some WD40. Just pry it up a little bit and squirt some WD in there, work it around a bit with the driver and it slides right off.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Cut them off with a razor blade, your going to put a new grip over where you are cutting.So if you scratch your bar it's nothing to stress about. Just don't press down real hard and finesse it. Clean the bar with alcohol and put the new ones on with an air compressor. It's really not a complicated task.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
:roflmao:
WOAH! I love it! Sorry to thread jack, but that is great.
I have posted that several times in the last couple of months and not one comment, geesh ;D.

If you want to save the grips, like mentioned you can use air or you can slide a thin screwdriver under the grip and squirt some WD-40 in there and they will slide right off. Just make sure you clean the bar well before installing the new ones. If am just doing work to the bars I use the WD-40 method. If I am changing grips I just cut the old ones off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts