Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine suck here in Halifax Municipality. On a Ninja 250, about 95% of them failed to detect the bike. On an SV650 it is 75% of them. We have the long rectangular ones that fit two cars, and some half-size. Each loop either works 100% of the time, or does not work 100% of the time for me. So I would never find that the same one detected me one day, and then the next it worked fine. It would be interesting to know if this is a normal failure rate.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here in NW Italy they work fine for most of the time, but there's a specific one that stubbornly refuses to work when I'm on my bike.

I use the (locally) so called telepass system to pay motorway tolls: it's registered with my car and bike ( gen.3 SV) driving plates.

When I cross this gate on my car it works 100% of the time (this morning it even worked with the transmitter stored inside my business bag, which was lying on the rear seat), but when I'm on my bike it NEVER works, no matter where the transmitter is positioned or how fast/slow/centered/offsided I cross the gate.

Funny side is that it's only that specific gate not working, and only with my bike, not with the car.
I even reported this to the local motorway office, but the reply was that they can't do anything about this, they simply replaced the transmitter with as new one (which didn't work either...).

Reactions: Able Opus

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clicked on this to find out what an "inductive loop detector" was.. 😄
I just read most of the posts about inductive loops here (completely baked ofc), lots of interesting stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
Thanks for that incredibly insightful and entirely interesting and relevant comment.
i guess you dont know what that means.
we have a law allowing us to proceed if an automatic traffic light doesn't detect us. so pull up to a light, and if it doesn't change, run the red. this basically means that nobody waits around for the light to change if there's no cross traffic. which makes the effectiveness of the loops irrelevant.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i guess you dont know what that means.
we have a law allowing us to proceed if an automatic traffic light doesn't detect us. so pull up to a light, and if it doesn't change, run the red. this basically means that nobody waits around for the light to change if there's no cross traffic. which makes the effectiveness of the loops irrelevant.
The way our telepass system works is similar: if you do not get detected, you can stop by, push the help button, your driving plate will be photographed (which means you will be traced) and the bar blocking your way will be automatically raised.
There are also motorbikes friendly lanes, where the bar blocks only half of the lane, allowing a bike to proceed on the side if doesn't get detected (the drinving plate will be photographed anyway).

It all sounds good until you are on your bike, and approach such a barrier while lined up with other vehicles: you are all travelling at about 40Km/h, the car in front of you gets detected, the bar raises and it passes, then closes again because the system doesn't detect you while you suppose it did, and either you get a nasty bump on your helmet or you have to swerve like you are performing the infamous "moose test".

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
The way our telepass system works is similar: if you do not get detected, you can stop by, push the help button, your driving plate will be photographed (which means you will be traced) and the bar blocking your way will be automatically raised.
i dont even know why this exists. the things take pictures of every vehicle anyway, so why even bother with the bars...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Probably because we're Italians, we like to overcomplicate easy things.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Thanks for that incredibly insightful and entirely interesting and relevant comment.
Not for nothing, but whether the inductive loops are functional or not in MY area of the world seems like it would be rather irrelevant to you, whether it's on-topic or not.

But, to answer your question, some detect me and some don't. I've learned which don't and I avoid them when there are no other cars to help trip them.

I believe if I cared enough to complain, they could adjust them to be more sensitive.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
also, if you spent time at a light (legal or not) to know that you didnt trip the light, you also spent enough time at a light to find out if there's cops watching

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I wouldn't even consider it a big deal if you spent enough time sitting there and you eventually went and then got stopped.

"Do you know why I stopped you?"
"Yes, sir. Did you see how long I waited before I went?"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, negotiating these poorly calibrated loops is not a big deal and is covered on this forum. I am familiar with the laws that allow people to go thru red lights which are discussed on other threads as well. I don't mean to step on any one's toes, I was hoping for a discussion on failure rates and designs that don't seem to work, instead of having a redundant thread about dealing with inductive loops. I get that Mad's comment is relevant to some degree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The main issue I've heard of is that most bikes are constructed of aluminium, which does not react with the magnetic field the same way steel does (e.g. car frame). I've heard that you can put a powerful magnet underneath your frame that will interact with the loop connectors field so the light will "see" you. I have not tried this but I should as some in my area stink, I typically ask cars to pull up next to me or just run it if safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here in Texas, most of them don't work for bikes, HOWEVER, I've done to find out 2 ways you can get it to work most times. Option 1, come to the light at a slight angle so the loop recognizes a bigger object and triggers it. Option 2, I've heard from multiple posts that you can place a few magnets on the bottom of your bike to disrupt the loop as well and trigger it.

We have gates and ticket systems at my work (hotel parking garage) that uses the system to activate the ticket system and to open the gate if it's closed.

For the ticket system, If you can see the cutout line in the ground, stop your tire just inside the line parallel with you and it'll trigger it so you can pull the ticket and go.

For the gate to exit however, i have to get my bike at a sharp angle ( which is difficult since it's going up a hill to exit the underground garage) in order to trigger it. Going to order some magnets soon to see if that method works. Hope this helps ya'll 🏍🏍

·
Registered
20 Posts
also, if you spent time at a light (legal or not) to know that you didnt trip the light, you also spent enough time at a light to find out if there's cops watching
In CA there is no lawful excuse for running a red, and in most places where I have an issue with sensors: there are cameras. Knowing of that, I preemptively flip my license plate when approaching intersections that are empty and it looks like I may be stuck there for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I will put my two cents in on the loops. I got some general info, might as well put it here. I have done experiments on inductive loops since I drive late at night a lot anyways. I am not doing guesswork here like a lot of posters. I know the ones that have a 100% failure rate with my SV and have tried suggested techniques on different ones, multiple times, with no cars around. The following does not work:

• High powered magnets on the bottom of the bike (I used two that are significantly more powerful than HDD magnets).
  • Putting the kickstand down directly over the loop.
  • Lowering the bike beyond the kickstand angle to bring the metal mass closer to the loop.
  • Holding the starter down for a few seconds.
  • I've tried all positions and manner of approach.
  • Revving up the engine at night like an imbecile.
  • I did many of the above simultaneously.

Pretty sure most of these have no scientific basis or have a negligible effect on inductance, but I figured I should try them out to be certain.

The following tidbit isn't helpful for me since the loops here distinctly do or don't work, but there was a study done with an actual motorcycle which stated that driving the bike 1 foot on the inside of the right or left of the rectangular-type loops caused the greatest inductance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I look around too before I do it, even though the police in my area are highly agreeable and reasonable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ha! That was mad8 who said that. I made the point that where I live, there are cameras at almost every intersection. Yes, you may have enough time to look around to see if there are any but if you see them, then they have already taken a picture of your license plate so I gotta flip it ahead of time, otherwise it's too late.

Don't get me even started on cops or courts. All they want is money. The best proof: they spend money on cameras instead of fixing the loops, because cameras make more money, and properly working infrastructure does not.

My issue with those loops is that I often go places where I haven't been before, and so it's hard to know ahead of time if I will have an issue with one, or not. That's why I always assume that there will be an issue and go from there. Even when I go to the same place again, it may be a long while since I last went there, and so I can't possibly memorize it all. That's why I put an electromagnet in the back of the bike and I can flip the license plate with a little switch. The time it took to install it, I already saved >100x by not wasting my time at the lights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts