Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did another trackday at COTA yesterday. Took the SV for the first time in 8yrs, I think. I took my now-sold ZX6R 2x since then. I dropped my PB by 4 seconds, down to 2:38, which surprised me because I thought it (and I) was too clapped out.

I’m happy with that, but I was surprised that the fastest speed I saw (GPS lap timer) was 117mph. It really seems to creep worse than I recall. The back straight is 1000 meters (.62 miles), and T11 might be a 30mph turn, which is creeping; 2nd gear. In 1/4 mile from a stop, it should hit ~107. The ZX6R hit around 145 on the back straight

Curious, I thought back on the Ninja 400 I couldn’t run down on that straight until braking. I was even in his draft, albeit a bit far back. I looked at a couple SV-at-COTA vids and feel like they’re not riding particularly well but still hitting ~2:43 times.

Wondering if it really is down on power.
Stock motor, no tune. 87 octane, stock gearing; kinked chain

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Any wind? If there was a headwind it's going to cut top speed 1:1. How about elevation change?

That said, seems slow. With stock gearing that's 5th gear a little below redline. At TWS I ran one or two teeth tighter than stock and hit sixth about the start/finish line

·
very big dumb
9,191 Posts
ive hit 129mph on the gps at summit. and that's almost as long and you hit it at speed rather than out of a 1st gear corner
i do have a bit of motor though.
at almost a km long, you should be gettting a bit more. is it a naked or faired?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Faired. I don’t recall much wind on the track, but that’s a good point. Though, I still think about that 400 I couldn’t run down.

Rich, at World, I would see ~130 as I start down into T1. Same gearing.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were trackdays at COTA last weekend? Which organization?

I thought Ridesmart has their event end of this month.
3:16 Trackdays. A few weeks ago, there was an Aprilia Day on a Monday, I think. A bit cheaper, and you don’t need an Aprilia

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Thanks, guys. Faired. I don’t recall much wind on the track, but that’s a good point. Though, I still think about that 400 I couldn’t run down.

Rich, at World, I would see ~130 as I start down into T1. Same gearing.
I never had GPS speeds, but that sounds about right.
Fastest I ever went was about 147-148 or so, hitting the limiter in 6th with 15x44 gearing. But that was at Daytona, with a tailwind and a double draft. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I haven't run telemetry in awhile, but 131.5 is the top I ever saw at TWS (GPS verified) so 117 seems at least 5mph short for that back straight. What speeds were you getting on the front straight?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh, your bike is definitely trashed then .... you should buy mine to replace it! 😎

Engine is possibly a little tired, or clutch could be slipping a tad when in 6th

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting thought on clutch. Has a lot of miles, and it does seem to hesitate longer after a shift than normal.

I’m considering a compression test for starters. Before event, spark plugs were replaced and fuel filter sock cleaned of a lot of gunk.

How much impact do you think a mildly kinked chain would have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did another trackday at COTA yesterday. Took the SV for the first time in 8yrs, I think. I took my now-sold ZX6R 2x since then. I dropped my PB by 4 seconds, down to 2:38, which surprised me because I thought it (and I) was too clapped out.

I’m happy with that, but I was surprised that the fastest speed I saw (GPS lap timer) was 117mph. It really seems to creep worse than I recall. The back straight is 1000 meters (.62 miles), and T11 might be a 30mph turn, which is creeping; 2nd gear. In 1/4 mile from a stop, it should hit ~107. The ZX6R hit around 145 on the back straight

Curious, I thought back on the Ninja 400 I couldn’t run down on that straight until braking. I was even in his draft, albeit a bit far back. I looked at a couple SV-at-COTA vids and feel like they’re not riding particularly well but still hitting ~2:43 times.

Wondering if it really is down on power.
Stock motor, no tune. 87 octane, stock gearing; kinked chain
Per my GoPro GPS on my 03 SV with stock motor and gearing I barely hit 121mph on the back straight.

video:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting thought on clutch. Has a lot of miles, and it does seem to hesitate longer after a shift than normal.

I’m considering a compression test for starters. Before event, spark plugs were replaced and fuel filter sock cleaned of a lot of gunk.

How much impact do you think a mildly kinked chain would have?
I think would be surprised with the impact of a "bad" chain would have at top speed. Installed some wheel spacers on the Z125 that have a slightly smaller o/s diameter reducing drag on the wheel bearing seal, picked up 1/2 mph on top speed. Anything that decreases rolling resistance will improve acceleration and top speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts