Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, how fast a speed have y'all dropped your SV's? I'm thinking mainly in terms of the street...but track stories would be interesting as well.

What gear were you wearing? What was the circumstance of the accident?

Nothing like hearing about other people's painful and expensive experiences to brighten my day! :lol:

For myself: -30 mph
-drove into a ditch
-teknic prowler jacket, AE khaki's and AE low-top boots(brand loyalty :roll: ) kbc vr-1

O

·
0 Posts
About same speed. Cold tires in a curve I knew well. Full HJC leathers with SIDI Vertebra boots. Not a scratch on me. Bike is rideable.

I screwed up. I started playing before warming up the (stock) tires. Yes, it's a n00b mistake. I have since taken the knee pucks off my pants. No more knee dragging on the road for me.

Y

·
0 Posts
I was goin too hot into a turn for the speed of the rider in front and layed mine out at 40 (estimate) in to mud.... Sounds soft but I fuc|<ed her up pretty good.

Just thought I would try to brighten your day... When my "brightness" went down, I found out how quickly the SV smiles go away, and the SV profanity begins to spew.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was going about 40 when a car hit me (bike) on the exhaust and knocked me (and bike) over...

Gear:

Shoei RF-900 (no damage)
Fieldsheer Mach 2 (awesome hot weather mesh/leather jacket, very little damage)
Joe Rocket Speedway gloves (they worked well, but wore the palms almost completely out... I dont trust joe rocket's leather quality anymore)
Jeans (shut the hell up)
tennis shoes (I told you to shut the hell up)

Damage:

Bike totalled

Mashed big toe on left foot
rashed and bruised knees and hips

No part of my body that I spent money on was injured.. at ALL

Also... I got some new gloves... Rev'it Hurricane gloves... their best hot weather glove (in terms of comfort)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. VERY HIGH QUALITY... kevlar, carbon fiber, leather and a very high strength mesh. www.revitusa.com

I also really recommend the mach 2 jacket... very good for hot weather and very well made. I am still wearing it. www.cantrememberwebsite.com

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NoDak01 said:
Does it have to be an SV crash? I had a hum-dinger on my FZR many years ago.
List any bike crash really...doesn't have to be SV related. I just wanted to see what kind of accidents went through, what sort of speeds were involved, and if there were some ridiculously lucky stories of people getting wiped out at high speeds and remaining surprisingly unscathed, and the effects of gear in the equation. For curiosities sake....everyone likes an accident story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Date: Oct. 15, 2002
Time: 7:00pm
Temp: 55 F
Gear: helmet, gloves, regular clothes, sneakers
Bike: blue yamaha yzf600r
Speed: 50mph
Cause of Accident: typical aggressive left turning whore
Cause of Damage: her car. horizontal asphalt and vertical concrete
Damage to bike: totalled. plastics, tank, frame, headers ripped off engine
Damage to self: 30+ rib fractures, broken C7 in neck, heavily damaged/collapsed/puntured/bleeding to death lung, shattered collarbone, shattered shoulderblade, dislocated shoulder, bruised liver, spleen, heart, road rash etc...

Tips: Be even MORE alert. Wear proper gear. Drink milk.

R

·
0 Posts
In my 99 SV I was doing 45-50 when a Ford Excursion ran a stop sign, I t-boned him and was launched over 150 feet. I had on a Shoei RF-800, jean shorts, a wife-beater tanktop and flip-flops. By the time I stopped bouncing/sliding I was bloody and naked like a newborn babie. The bike was broken into 3 pieces and I got a helicopter ride. I spent the next 2.5 months in a wheelchair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
reddenjeff said:
In my 99 SV I was doing 45-50 when a Ford Excursion ran a stop sign, I t-boned him and was launched over 150 feet. I had on a Shoei RF-800, jean shorts, a wife-beater tanktop and flip-flops. By the time I stopped bouncing/sliding I was bloody and naked like a newborn babie. The bike was broken into 3 pieces and I got a helicopter ride. I spent the next 2.5 months in a wheelchair.
Wow 150ft! That's like a field goal. Or actually, it probably more looked like a squib kick.(sorry) :p Thanks for the bloody visual. It's like a bad Sci-Fi channel movie ala terminator in my head now. :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Yeah it was more of a dribble than a slide (might have been better seeing as how I was naked after the first hit. I remeber my feet catching on the edge of the roof of the Excursion ( I am guessing that was the hit that broke them). That was about 3 years ago and my back still has a bunch of scars. I do know if I didn't have my helmet on (No helmet law here) I would be dead, there was a huge chunk of helmet taken out over the right temple and dead center on the back of the helmet. Although the helicopter ride was pretty neat (especially after they gave me the morphine, and I did met Samantha who was a nurse at the ER, so it did have a positive part too :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Date: May 18, 1991

Bike: Yamaha FZR 600

Gear: Cheapest Dainese 2-piece leathers available, Cycle Racer brand (no longer made) cheapy gloves, Shoei helmet, Kushitani racing boots

Speed: 110 ~ 120 mph

Cause(s): Crummy Michelin Hi-Sport bias-ply racing tires not up to temperature yet & an onionhead rider (me) grabbing way too much brake coming into turn 3 at BIR on the first lap of a race.

Damage to me: Only 1 somewhat major problem - torn ligaments in my right ankle. Everything else relatively minor - ground up right shoulder about the size of a half-dollar, jammed thumb, a few scratches on my hands & some pavement ground into 1 thumbnail & just sore all over for a while.

Damage to bike: Major - Busted open the stock cover over the end of the crankshaft and took a chunk out of the lower case itself where the side cover used to bolt into. This resulted in an engine case full of dirt when the bike finally slid into the grass. The other stuff was typical of what gets busted in a crash:

-All plastic on the front destroyed
-Plastic gas tank cover cracked
-Rear plastic scratched heavily on both sides
-Rear subframe bent to the right an inch or two at the furthest back point
-Front master cylinder destroyed. I was able to bend the mangled brake lever back to somewhat normal without it breaking and I've used it ever since.
-Speedometer destroyed, other gauges OK but overall gauge housing busted where the speedo used to be.
-Radiator twisted. However it didn't leak and the radiator mounts twisted along with it so everything still bolts up, why replace it.
-Assorted grind marks and scratches to other stuff such as the frame downtubes

Lessons learned (many):

-When buying a new bike (well, 2 years old/3500 miles used) to race with, don't spend $35 on a closeout tire that used to the hottest thing 3 or 4 years ago.
-Locking up the front wheel does not throw you over the bars. The sudden lack of centrifigal force from the rotating wheel at that speed causes the front to go instantly full lock to one side or the other. In this case it choose the right side.
-Smashing an FZR hard into the pavement on it's right side with stock engine side covers is a bad idea. There's a reason for the billet aluminum one that's on the bike now.
-A chunk of missing metal about the size of a nickel on an engine case can be successfully filled with JB Weld and not leak oil. At least it never leaked in the 5 years I rode the bike after this.
-Being thrown on the pavement when travelling at this speed can result in some amazing barrel rolls/sommersaults/who knows what else. I remember seeing a lot of ground/sky/ground in rapid succession.
-The human brain is capable of somewhat rational thought during something like this. Once I was tumbling, I realized what was going on and knew that if I got knocked out I'd get a nice expensive ambulance ride. So I consciously tried to keep my head tucked in and roll on my back and forearms until I got under control to where I could just slide. It must have worked, the helmet wasn't too badly scaped up after all of this.
-It's possible to walk/limp away from a crash at this speed with the right gear, even my cheap college budget racing gear.
-Walking on crutches with a badly jammed thumb hurts like hell.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I have an FZR600 crash story too 8)

My first race weekend, I just took the class friday. Saturday morning practice at Summit Point I take turn 10 at about ~80-90 mph, I straighten up and tuck in for the straight and roll on the throttle. Next thing I know the jerk off behind me ran too wide and smacks me down. The FZR and me went down and I held onto the bike to use as a shield to keep me from possibly getting run over by other racers... No one was even close though and they all got around me as I slid for what felt like 1/2 hour.

Luckily the bike nor I tumbled so other than some rash on my leathers and fairings all was OK. My leatherrs (HJC) got so hot I got minor burns on my hip. My boot sliders got *so* hot the plastic melted and started flowing, I had a few burns on my foot too. A corner worker saw it happen but I told him I didn't want to know who did it, I didn't need to get into a fight my first weekend :roll:

T

·
0 Posts
first expert race in 03 140+ at buttonwillow on my R6 not a scratch on my lil bruised on my right knee....and the bike well not so well but i did ride it back to the pits no brakes no bodywork left and gauges sitting in my lap.. acro gone rear set broke and so on but all in all my teknics and alpinstars keept me safe as can be

S

·
0 Posts
4 instances...

35 mph lowside n00b mistake onto a sandy shoulder. Minimal bike damage, tiny rash where my jacket and pants separated a bit.

20 mph front washout on a new tire within 100 feet of my driveway. Pride mortally wounded, but pulled through with serious nursing and humor. I use a 1/4-sheet sander on my new tires before riding now.

35 mph front washout while trying not to smash into a minivan who decided that it would be a good idea to turn left in front of me from the far right lane. Bruised ribs suck. Fairing rashed, laptop scraped up a bit.

35-40 mph highside. I was in way too much of a good mood on my favorite twisty way into work at 7:30 am one fine Monday morning. I was hauled over on a 180 degree left and gave a touch too much gas on the exit. The back slid. I let off the gas (oops, too late). SNAP! There goes the handle bars, here comes the ground. Road, sky, road sky... road. Slid to a stop on my face... My Aerostich Roadcrafter, Shoei RF-1000, ImpactArmor chest and back protectors, and my timberland boots did a great job. Dislocated my shoulder, banged my left knee (no joint damage, tho), no scrapes or burns, whatsoever, and met some very nice and helpful people. Mmmmmm morphine... ;) All in all, not too bad. I'm almost better now. :D Bike is in great shape... Killed my fairing, broke the break lever and pedal, rashed my exhaust, and it's still basically rideable. Very Lucky!

Later,
Tim.

T

·
0 Posts
toddccs98 said:
first expert race in 03 140+ at buttonwillow on my R6 not a scratch on my lil bruised on my right knee....and the bike well not so well but i did ride it back to the pits no brakes no bodywork left and gauges sitting in my lap.. acro gone rear set broke and so on but all in all my teknics and alpinstars keept me safe as can be
Wow, it's amazing to me that somebody can crash at 140 MPH and be fine.

:shock:

·
Registered
332 Posts
The last time I dumped an SV:
30-40mph
Lowsided for 10' then highsided
Bike hit hay bails, I hit cement wall
Bike damage: Bent rearsets, bent bird cage, front master cylinder broken, lowers cracked, various scuffs.
My injuries: Knocked out, concusion, bruised ribs, bruised lungs, ripped tendon in thumb, strained shoulder, various bruises.

V

·
0 Posts
I was a passenger on a 1973 Honda CB750 (happened in 1974, yea, I'm one of the older, read mature, members of the board) and got hit broadside by a car running a stop sign. It was a residential area, we were doing about 50, I flew about 50 feet and landed in an azalea bush in someones front yard. Right knee dislocated to a 45 degree angle sideways with compound fracture of tibia. Numerous blood vessels, tendons, ligaments severed. It was touch and go on keeping the leg for a few days but it worked out ok. Oh and the driver of the car that hit us was a friend of ours out for a joyride, isn't that ironic, don't you think?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts