Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question....how do I know when I'm fast enough to start using slicks? I see novices using them and it seems like overkill. I run middle AM lap times and just shagged a set of Conti DOT's. They moved around considerably, but were predictable atleast. Overall I liked them, but I would like something a little bit stickier. So the way I see it is:

Michelin Power Ones are great but expensive and don't pay any contingency

Dunlop has a race DOT but next to impossible to get at LRRS

Bridgestone only has the 003rs DOT and it isn't that good, but their slicks are supposedly awesome.

Conti has the race attacks which I liked, but would like a little more grip

and of course Pirelli which I'm just not a fan of

Are there any other options? Should I just bump to slicks? Who pays contingency is also a factor here.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Most companies the slick and DOT compounds are pretty much the same, the difference is mostly in the tire profile and the fact that slicks will last a bit longer. You are talking about racing too not track days correct?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most companies the slick and DOT compounds are pretty much the same, the difference is mostly in the tire profile and the fact that slicks will last a bit longer. You are talking about racing too not track days correct?
Correct. Racing. I'm also trying to use a brand that will pay contingency at the novice level.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Bridgestone, Dunlop and continental are the only brands paying contingency that I'm aware of. Not sure if bridgestone makes a 160 dot race tire, I was running their r10 dot race tire but it was a 180 rear, I recently changed it up to the 165 slicks and like them so far.

I don't know anything about Dunlop or continental, the only two tire brands I have ever used is bridgestone and pirelli and pirelli isn't paying contingency.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Doesn't hurt to buy a set and try.

Bonus points if you have your friends put on a random set of tires for you and you don't look what tire is on there - and you can say which is the slick and which is not.

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
... Bonus points if you have your friends put on a random set of tires for you and you don't look what tire is on there - and you can say which is the slick and which is not.
I like the way you think champer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is bridgestone paying contingency to Novices?

Will the 165 rear B-stone slick fit & operate on the stock sv rear wheel ok?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If slicks and dot race tires are basically same it does not matter what your lap time is. Pick tire you want to run and go for it :)
Except they're not. Dot's are a race capable tire, but what are you comparing a GP-A to an NTEC slick? I dont think so.

The bridgestone slicks cost me less then what getting in the european 160 dunlop GP-A would. If you're quick enough to be thinking about contingency i dont see why it's even a question? Slicks have more grip and bridgestone is the only one available to you. The 250 GP slicks work great on an SV, your tire vendor will probably only have one hardness in stock, the soft which is the best tire for the SV.

EDITED: plus everyone loves the bridgestone tires. Predictable and last way longer then michelin/pirelli, no massive fall off of traction too. Dunlop is making really good tires again as well, if they were paying and b-stone wasn't i'd probably run the GP-A

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I run slicks but in my opinion I am no where near fast enough to tell the grip difference between slicks and race DOTs and I consistently finish in the top 3 experts with WERA.

As far as I know Bridgestone makes the only slick that will work for the stock SV rear rim, however I would be hard pressed to feel a difference in grip between any of the major tire manufacturers.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Except they're not. Dot's are a race capable tire, but what are you comparing a GP-A to an NTEC slick? I dont think so.

The bridgestone slicks cost me less then what getting in the european 160 dunlop GP-A would. If you're quick enough to be thinking about contingency i dont see why it's even a question? Slicks have more grip and bridgestone is the only one available to you. The 250 GP slicks work great on an SV, your tire vendor will probably only have one hardness in stock, the soft which is the best tire for the SV.

EDITED: plus everyone loves the bridgestone tires. Predictable and last way longer then michelin/pirelli, no massive fall off of traction too. Dunlop is making really good tires again as well, if they were paying and b-stone wasn't i'd probably run the GP-A
That is your opinion.
Personally I ride on Pirellis and think dot race tire is as good as slick if not better.
And I don't love bridgestones. Rode on 165 slick just couple weeks ago and did not like it at all.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
As far as I know Bridgestone makes the only slick that will work for the stock SV rear rim, however I would be hard pressed to feel a difference in grip between any of the major tire manufacturers.
Pirelli has slick for stock rim also.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts