Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

How far off is the speedometer gauge?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RandyO 
#1 ·
Like the title implies, how many mph is the gauge at speeds of 40, 50, 60, 70, 80? I assumed it was about 5mph. Thanks! ;)

#8 ·
when mine say 80, I am doing 75. I didnt know that until the other day, but I had a cop on my butt on the interstate a few weeks ago and I looked down, doing 80 in a 65 and the HOV Lane and crapped my pants. He got in the other lane then in front of me and took off. I would like to get that fixed.

#9 ·
shermans_shazaam said:
when mine say 80, I am doing 75. I didnt know that until the other day, but I had a cop on my butt on the interstate a few weeks ago and I looked down, doing 80 in a 65 and the HOV Lane and crapped my pants. He got in the other lane then in front of me and took off. I would like to get that fixed.
well, bikes are allowed in HOV lanes, so there's nothing to worry about there. But if a speedo is optimistic, and you do the speed limit, you're always safe.

#10 ·
stranger said:
just do the speed limit on your speedo and you're pretty much guaranteed to never get caught speeding. why would you spend the money to fix 10%?
Damn so you mean with my 120/70 front tire I'm actually going the speed it shows?!?!? On my speedo!?!?!?!?!

F**k!!!!!! I thought I had atleast a 10% error buffer I could use when I plead my next speeding ticket in court. This is the suck. :(

#12 ·
bigdogs_sv said:
Is there a way to correct this problem with out changing the tire size.  ie: recalibrate computer?????
speedos are off by design, the odo isn't off, it's a european regulation that speedos cannot read slower than the actual speed, but it's ok to read faster

error varies quite a bit depenting on what brand and how much wear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.