Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
it depends on the front tire. 60 series tires tend to cause your speed to be off by around 10%. 70 series tires are pretty close to being accurate.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I found very much the same after I fitted the Veypor... Though the stock speedo's not exactly precise either. With teh speedo drive on the rear wheel and a 160/60 it's very nearly accurate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know mine is not accurate. The one time I followed my dad somewhere he was going 65mph and mine said 70mph. I guess I will follow him on the highway at different speeds one day to get a true number.

·
Registered
296 Posts
when mine say 80, I am doing 75. I didnt know that until the other day, but I had a cop on my butt on the interstate a few weeks ago and I looked down, doing 80 in a 65 and the HOV Lane and crapped my pants. He got in the other lane then in front of me and took off. I would like to get that fixed.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
shermans_shazaam said:
when mine say 80, I am doing 75. I didnt know that until the other day, but I had a cop on my butt on the interstate a few weeks ago and I looked down, doing 80 in a 65 and the HOV Lane and crapped my pants. He got in the other lane then in front of me and took off. I would like to get that fixed.
well, bikes are allowed in HOV lanes, so there's nothing to worry about there. But if a speedo is optimistic, and you do the speed limit, you're always safe.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
stranger said:
just do the speed limit on your speedo and you're pretty much guaranteed to never get caught speeding. why would you spend the money to fix 10%?
Damn so you mean with my 120/70 front tire I'm actually going the speed it shows?!?!? On my speedo!?!?!?!?!

F**k!!!!!! I thought I had atleast a 10% error buffer I could use when I plead my next speeding ticket in court. This is the suck. :(

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Damn so you mean with my 120/70 front tire I'm actually going the speed it shows?!?!? On my speedo!?!?!?!?!

F**k!!!!!! I thought I had atleast a 10% error buffer I could use when I plead my next speeding ticket in court. This is the suck. :(
the judge/DA doesn't know that. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
bigdogs_sv said:
Is there a way to correct this problem with out changing the tire size.  ie: recalibrate computer?????
speedos are off by design, the odo isn't off, it's a european regulation that speedos cannot read slower than the actual speed, but it's ok to read faster

error varies quite a bit depenting on what brand and how much wear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts