Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a plasma blue 2007 Kawasaki 650R Ninja with 4,050 miles, and my bike has no emission controls. It is a fast bike capable of doing 140 mph +.
I've never ridden a Suzuki SV650, but would consider trading for one if the performance was similar to my 650R? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're asking an odd question, that's probably why you've gotten no replies. You're comparing a bike with a fairing to one with none, which isn't quite fair. That being said there's more to performance than top speed. If that's all you care about keep what you've got. I'd rather have a bike with fuel injection than one with old-fashioned carburetors any day.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The emissions control gear doesn't affect the performance on the Gen 3 SVs at all, in fact the engine puts out more power and torque as standard than the previous generation engines. I've owned a 2006 SV and now have a Gen 3. The Gen 3 is sharper on the throttle and pulls harder.

But as mentioned, a standard Gen 3 will max out at around 120 - 125mph because it has no fairing. It's maybe a little quicker-accelerating than the Ninja, as most magazine road / dyno tests show the SV puts out 70 - 71bhp at the wheel, compared to 65ish for the Ninja (link: Rider Comparison Review: Ninja 650 vs SV650 vs FZ-07).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The emissions control gear doesn't affect the performance on the Gen 3 SVs at all, in fact the engine puts out more power and torque as standard than the previous generation engines. I've owned a 2006 SV and now have a Gen 3. The Gen 3 is sharper on the throttle and pulls harder.

But as mentioned, a standard Gen 3 will max out at around 120 - 125mph because it has no fairing. It's maybe a little quicker-accelerating than the Ninja, as most magazine road / dyno tests show the SV puts out 70 - 71bhp at the wheel, compared to 65ish for the Ninja (link: Rider Comparison Review: Ninja 650 vs SV650 vs FZ-07).
Thank you so much for the information. I really like the 2020 SV650 with the light blue frame and wheels, but I've never ridden a SV650 ever. Suzuki also offers a 5 year warranty and maybe a $500 gas card so I can't think of a better introduction.

·
Registered
457 Posts
See if you can test ride one. Based on my own experience, that 'Rider' review of the SV is accurate. It's a really good all-round machine but it isn't bland or dull in any way. There's a good reason why there are so many on the road: they're great fun and easy to look after.

Even though it doesn't have a fairing, cruising at 75mph is fine, but like any naked bike, keeping it above 80mph for more than a few minutes gets a bit tiresome if there's a wind blowing, because of the buffeting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're asking an odd question, that's probably why you've gotten no replies. You're comparing a bike with a fairing to one with none, which isn't quite fair. That being said there's more to performance than top speed. If that's all you care about keep what you've got. I'd rather have a bike with fuel injection than one with old-fashioned carburetors any day.
Actually my 650R is fuel injected. I've always wanted a Suzuki SV650S, but the handlebars are too low. I don't know if I could ever get used to them. There is a brand new black 2015 Suzuki SV650S for sale at the local dealer, and I'd love to buy it, but, again, the bars are too low.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Many owners of the S models fit higher-rise clip-ons or bar risers to make it easier on their back and arms.

I had the stock clip-ons on my previous 2006 S model, I am 6' (183cm) tall with quite long arms and it was still a l o n g stretch to the grips for me. For the first few months of ownership, my wrists hurt like fuck until I re-thought my riding position and started using my core muscles to keep weight off my arms. Then my back and core muscles hurt for a couple months until they got used to it.

In short, if you've got arms as long as an orang-utan, an S might fit you fine ;) The S model's ergos are not designed for comfort, but you do get used to them .... eventually.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
If you have a 650 R Ninja that does an actual 140+ mph, keep it. No SV 650 that isn't heavily modified will do that. Nor would any 650 Ninja that I have been around!

On to the other part of your question....emission controls don't automatically cost you power or performance. Even catalytic converters cost almost no power. Proven on dyno tests. It sounds louder, so it must make more power, is what makes some thing there is an improvement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
See if you can test ride one. Based on my own experience, that 'Rider' review of the SV is accurate. It's a really good all-round machine but it isn't bland or dull in any way. There's a good reason why there are so many on the road: they're great fun and easy to look after.

Even though it doesn't have a fairing, cruising at 75mph is fine, but like any naked bike, keeping it above 80mph for more than a few minutes gets a bit tiresome if there's a wind blowing, because of the buffeting.
Slap a meter visor on the gen 3. I was surprised how well it helps above 80 and triple digits.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Genuine Suzuki. I paid $150 which is a lot for what it is but no remorse. It looks clean and deflects better than I expected. Hunt around on ebay and such as I've seen them a little bit cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts